- Future Students
- Future Students - Home
- Admission Requirements
- Family & Consumer Science Education Academy
- Freshman Reading Program
- Graduate Students
- Important Dates
- Request for Information
- Scholarship & Financial Aid
- Study Abroad & International Opportunities
- Village Human Sciences/The PETE Project
- What Can I Study?
- Current Students
- Current Students - Home
- Applications & Opportunities
- Awards & Accolades
- Career Services
- Center for Student Success
- Computer Labs & Technology
- Honors College
- Make an Advising Appointment
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad & International Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research
- Alumni & Friends
- About Us
- Apply Now
The College of Human Sciences’ Career Services office facilitates career exploration and professional development for all students -- undergraduate and graduate. We collaborate with each of our academic program areas to support a variety of industry-related professional practice experiences.
Ready references are a series of handouts that provide an overview of information about career exploration, professional development, and opportunity search preparation (such as for a job or an internship). These references cover details to get you started -- we then encourage you to follow up with a career consultant who can provide additional and more personalized guidance. Topics covered include resumes, cover letters, preparing for graduate school, salary negotiation, networking, interviewing as well as many others.
Individual consultations are another resource available to students within the College of Human Sciences. Our college career consultant, Dr. Brecca Farr (LinkedIn: Brecca Rhea Farr), is available to meet one-on- one or in small groups to assist students with their career preparation needs. For example, Dr. Farr regularly works with students to review resumes and LinkedIn profiles, brainstorm internship or job search strategies, and provide feedback for cover letters and personal statements. Dr. Farr is also GCDF certified and can provide assistance with several career assessments available to OSU students as well as with general questions about careers.
OSU Career Services host several career fairs each year. These events are excellent opportunities for students to learn about prospective employers, gather industry-related information, network with company representatives, and apply for a range of opportunities -- including internships, seasonal employment, and full-time positions.
Mock interviews are another resource available. Students can participate in OSU Mock Interview Day offered every fall and spring semesters on both the Stillwater and Tulsa campuses; industry and HR personnel come campus to help with this event and provide valuable feedback to participants. Students can also schedule a mock interview with any career consultant; these can be completed in person or using our InterviewStream technology.
There are a number of good online resources that can be useful when seeking career related information. Below are several that are recommended to students within the College of Human Sciences.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) is a good resource for exploring a variety of occupations. Within the OOH, see “Community and Social Service Occupations” for specific occupations that may be a good fit for HDFS - Child & Family Service students.
- Idealist is a great web site for seeing the diversity of non-profit and not-for- profit organizations working in a variety of fields. Students can search by geographic location, type of opportunity (e.g., internship, or volunteer), and area of focus (e.g., youth, rural, community development, sports and recreation, or education).
- OSU Career Services created a number of pages to help students explore the majors at Oklahoma State University. Below are links that relate to the College of Human Sciences.
- Design, Housing and Merchandising
- Hotel and Restaurant Administration
- Human Development and Family Science
- Nutritional Sciences
Dr. Brecca Farr, College of Human Sciences Career Consultant, is available to discuss and provide feedback on a variety of professional development and career preparation topics. Any currently enrolled undergraduate student can make an appointment to meet with Dr. Farr; her appointment schedule is available via OSU's Star System.
*Graduate students and recent alumni:
Please call College of Human Sciences’ Career Services to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Brecca Farr, Career Consultant
College of Human Sciences
101 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
405.744. 9533 or 405.744.5053