- Student Awards
- About Us
- PD Calendar
- Apply Now
Associate Dean, Extension and Engagement; Professor135 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University||Housing, Interior Design and Resource Management|
|M.U.R.P.||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University||Urban and Regional Planning|
|B.Arch||Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña, Dominican Republic||Architecture. Cum Laude|
My scholarship includes understanding the housing decisions made by Hispanics and Hispanic immigrants in the US; particularly at a time of economic distress in the nation and a rise in anti-immigrant sentiments. The overall goal is to translate findings into recommendations for housing providers, counselors, renters and homeowners. Train-the-trainer programs for county educators will help address the need to improve housing for the largest minority group in Oklahoma.
PublicationsChapters in Books:
- ** Parrott, K., & Atiles, J.H. (In press). Home Environments and Health (Chapter 3). Katrin B. Anaker & Andrew T. Carswell (Eds.), Introduction to Housing. University of Georgia Press.
- *Atiles, J.H., Crocoll, C.E., & Schuchardt, J. (2015). Chapter I-2: Extending knowledge, changing lives. In Sharon Y. Nickols & Gewn Kay (editors), Remaking Home Economics: Resourcefulness and Innovation in Changing Times. University of Georgia Press.
- *Atiles, J.H., Jenkins, C., Rayas-Duarte, P., Taylor, R.K., & Zhang, H. (2014). Chapter 4: Service,
Cooperative Extension, and community engagement. In obert J. Sternberg (editor), The
Modern Land-Grant University. Purdue University Press.
- **Atiles, J.H. (2015, spring). Building Sustainable Housing Markets [Book Review]. Journal of
Planning Education and Research,35(1), 98-100.
Fabregas Janeiro, M. G. & Atiles, J. H. (2015). Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service - Building an Interculturally Competent Community: First Year Assessment. Honorable Mention with Distinction. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship 8(2).
- Peek, G., Penn, C., & Atiles, J. (2013). New best management for phosphorus in the water.
- Atiles, J.H. (2012). Farmers Home Administration: Rural Housing Service. The Encyclopedia of Housing (2nd Edition)., Andrew T. Carswell, Editor. SAGE.
- James III, R.N., Atiles, J.H., & Robb, C.A. (2011). Homeownership Plans among Hispanic Renters: Ethnic Differences or Geographic Differences? Housing & Society, 38(2), 191-209.
- *Firebaugh, F.M., Nickols, S.Y., Atiles, J.H., & Turkii, K. (2010). "Sustaining FCS in higher education : A 2010 perspective", Vol. 102, No. 4. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 17-23.
- *Nickols, S.Y., Turkki, K., Pichler, G., Kirjavainen, L.K., Atiles, J.H., & Firebaugh, F.M. (2010). A global perspective for FCS: Sustaining families, communities, and the natural environment by building social capital. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 102 (4), 10-16.
- James, R. N., III., Robb, C. A., Carswell, A. T., & Atiles, J.H. (2010). Housing costs among low-income renters and homeowners: 'Rent v. buy' and the hidden costs of low-income homeownership. In F. Columbus (Ed.), Housing costs: Trends, impact and prediction. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers., pp. 171-179
- Bohon, S., Atiles, J.H., & Stamps, K. (2008). Transportation and migrant adjustment in Georgia. Population Research and Policy Review, 27(3), 273-291.
- James III, R. & Atiles, J.H. (2008). The transitioning nature of Hispanic renters. Housing Policy Debate, 19(1), 177-206.
- ** Parrott, K., , & (). , , Atiles, J.H., & Vogel, M. (2005). Home Environments and Health (Chapter 3). In Housing and Education Research Association (Ed.) Introduction to Housing, Prentice-Hall.
- Bohon, S.A. , Macpherson, H., & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Education barriers for new Latinos in Georgia. Journal of Latinos and Education, 4(1), 43-58.
- Marlowe, J. & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Consumer fraud associated with driver's license policy regarding Latino immigrants. Journal of Latin American Urban Studies, 7(1), 1-21.
- Marlowe, J. & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Consumer fraud and Latino immigrant consumers in the United States.International Journal of Consumer Studies, 29(5), 391-400.
- Sweaney, A.L., Manley, K.S., Atiles, J.H., Bachtel, D.C., Cude, B.J., Ragsdale, M.G., Rodgers, T.F., Tinsley, K.L., Valente, J.S., & Shelton, G.G. (2004). Rural workforce housing: Perceived barriers and incentives for development.Housing and Society, 31(1), 15-28.
- Atiles, J.H. (2003). Cultural influences on housing (a section in Chapter 2, Influences on housing). In E. Lewis & C. Turner (Eds.), Housing Decisions (8th ed.), Tinley Park, IL: The Goodheart-Wilcox Company, Inc., pp. 51-53.
- Atiles, J.H. & Bohon, S.A. (2003). Camas calientes: Housing adjustments and barriers to social and economic adaptation among Georgiaâ€™s rural Latinos. In R. Saenz & C. Torres (Guest Eds.), Special Issue: Latinos in the South. Southern Rural Sociology, 19 (1), 97-122.
- Atiles, J.H., Wysocki, J.L., & Tremblay, K.R. (2003). Energy Star ®: Introducing a new cooperative extension partnership. Housing & Society, 30(1), 59-68.
- Atiles, J.H. & Cude, B.J. (2002). Expanding on the meaning of resource development for Family and Consumer Sciences in the 21st Century. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 94(2), 9-10.
- Goss, R.C. , Beamish, J.O., Atiles, J.H., & Kim, Y. (2001). Not a trailer anymore. Housing Policy Debate, 12(2), 373-392.
- Atiles, J.H., Goss, R.C., & Beamish, J.O. (2000). Community attitudes toward manufactured housing in Virginia.Housing & Society, 25(3), 1-22.
- Shelton, G.G. & Atiles, J.H. (1995). A qualitative approach for assessing receptivity to federal housing initiatives: The focus group technique. Housing and Society, 22(3), 17-29.
- Shelton, G.G. & Atiles, J.H. (1994). Focus groups: Gauging residents' responses. Journal of Housing, 51(6), 29-33.