Whitney A. Bailey
322 Human Sciences
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI||Family & Child Ecology; Marriage & Family Therapy|
|M.S.||University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR||Human Development & Family Science|
|B.S.||Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, MO||Child & Family Care Resources|
|Lifespan Human Development: Honor’s Seminar||HDFS 2114|
|Adulthood & Aging||HDFS 4413|
|Death, Dying & Bereavement||HDFS 4813|
|Aging in the Medical Context||HDFS 5453|
|Aging in the Family||HDFS 5493|
Awards & Recognition:
- 2014 member of Oklahoma Magazine’s 40 under 40 class
- 2013 Outstanding Faculty Member awarded by the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils at Oklahoma State University
- 2012 Regent’s Distinguished Teaching Award
- 2010 Outstanding Faculty Member awarded by the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils at Oklahoma State University
- 2007 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor, College of Human Environmental Sciences at Oklahoma State University
- 2006 – 2007 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers & Educators
- Governor’s appointee and Chair, DHS Citizens Advisory Panel on Aging Issues
- National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
Research Statement:I conduct applied scholarship in the area of Family Gerontology, examining family and relational processes of aging. I specifically engage in applied research on caregiving processes. In my work, caregiving is operationalized as the transfer of resources to and from older adults, including informal, family care and formalized, state funded services. My efforts in scholarship, instruction, and engagement are driven by my commitment to improve the ways in which older persons experience medical, social, government, and family systems. As a scholar serving in a land-grant institution, I am passionate about translational research that empowers county and district staff to reach and serve aging families.
- End-of-Life Family Decision Making
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Family Caregiving
- United States Department of Agriculture – NIFA (2015 - present) Grant Program: Rural Health and Safety Education Competitive Grants Program Title: A Community Approach to Caregiver Education: Empowering Rural Hospitals and Caregivers Role: Project Director Co-Directors: Sarah R. Gordon & Emily Roberts Funded for $311,602
- Center for Family Resilience (2015 - present) Title: Resilience in Family Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia: The Impact of Caregiver Respite on Decisions about Care-Home Placement Role: Co-Investigator Project Director: Emily Roberts Funded for $9,951
- Bailey, W. (PI). Statewide Assessment of the ADvantage Program (2013). Oklahoma Department of Human Services – Aging Services Division ($33,792).
- Brosi, W. (PI). Increasing Efficiency and Well-being in Family Care Systems by Improving Communication and Decision Making Between Caregivers and Elderly Recipients (2007-2009). Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station ($77,771).
- Brosi, W. (PI), Hermann, J. (Co-PI), Johnston, J. (Co-PI), & Jaco, L. (Co-PI). Empowering Older, Rural Oklahomans and their Communities: Assessment and Education on Contextual Barriers to Positive Nutrition and Health (2007 - 2008). USDA ($326,000).
- Brosi, W. (PI). An Evaluation of Advantage Consumers’ Experiences with Formal Care Services (December, 2005 – February, 2007). Long Term Care Authority ($78,463).
- Brosi, W. (PI) & Ingham, R. (Co-PI). Legal Service Utilization and Policy Needs of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (June, 2005 – May, 2006). The Borchard Foundation Center on Law & Aging ($20,000).
- Brosi, W. (PI). Older Consumers’ Satisfaction with Formal Services (April, 2005 – May, 2006). Oklahoma Department of Human Services – Aging Services Division ($40,353).
- Brosi, W. (PI). Familial Involvement in Medical Visits with Patients 65 and older (2001 - 2002). Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation ($3,000).
- Bishop, A.J., Randall, G. K., Bailey, W. A., & Merten, M.J. (2015). Experience of parental marital dissolution earlier in life and the disposition to forgive among older violent and non-violent prisoners. Journal of Religion, Spirituality, and Aging, 27, 108-124.
- Smith, B. & Bailey, W. A. (2015). Fostering resilience among older adults living with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Chronic Illness and Family Resilience.
- Johnston, J. H., Bailey, W. A., & Wilson, G. (2014). Mechanisms for fostering multigenerational resilience. Contemporary Family Therapy.
- Robinson, J. S. & Bailey, W. A. (2014). Fostering human capital and human potential. In Sternberg, R. J., The Modern Land-grant University, Purdue University Press: West Lafayette, IN..
- Johnston, J.H., Brosi, W.A., & Wilson, G. (2013). Mechanisms for fostering multigenerational resilience Contemporary Family Therapy, Published online. DOI 10.1007/s10591-012-9222-6
- Hermann, J., Brosi, W.A., Johnston, J., & Jaco, L. (2012). Food-related instrumental activities of daily living and reported changes in food intake and weight among rural community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Extension, 50 (1).
- Hermann, J., Johnston, J., Bailey, W. A., & Jaco, L. (2012). Evaluation of a Cooperative Extension Service curriculum on empowering older adults with Assistive Technology to grocery shop, prepare food, and eat. Journal of Extension, 50(5). Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2012october/iw2.php
- Johnston, J.H., Brosi, W.A., Hermann, J., & Jaco, L. (2011). The impact of social support on perceived control for older adults: Building blocks to empowerment. Journal of Extension, 49(5) Article 5RIB4 [On-line] Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2011october/rb4.php
- Morgan, M., Brosi, W.A., & Brosi, M.W. (2011). Restorying older adults’ narratives about self and substance abuse. American Journal of Family Therapy, 39(5), 444-455. doi: 10.1080/01926187.2011.560784.
- Brosi, W.A., Ames, B.D., & Carolan, M.T. (2009). Decision making authority in caregiving relationships: Perceptions of mothers receiving care from adult daughters. Brazilian Journal of Home Economics, 20, p. 11 – 29.
- Morgan, M. & Brosi, W.A. (2007). Prescription drug abuse among the elderly: A family ecological case study. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 26, 419 – 432.
- Ames, B.D., Brosi, W.A., & Damiano-Teixeira, K. (2006). "I’m just glad my three jobs could be during the day": Women and work in a rural community. Family Relations, 55, 119 - 131.
- Brosi, W.A. (2006). Understanding grief as the process of loss evolves (Book Review). Journal of Death Studies, 30, 193-197.
- Price, C.A. & Brosi, W.A. (2006). Resources for advancing family gerontology education and practice. Family Relations, 55, 119-131.
- Griffore, R.J., Green, R.L., Phenice, L.A., Schweitzer, J., & Brosi, W.A. (2004). Evaluation of the Skillman supported Comer schools in the Detroit public schools. American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences Journal.
- Brosi, M.W. & Brosi, W.A. (2002). Why not avoid a trial whenever you can? Special edition: An alternative dispute resolution for divorce Michigan Family Law Journal, 28-29.
- Villarruel, F.A., Bessey, L.L., Onaga, E., Youatt, J.P., Carolan, M., Griffore, R.J., Silvey, L., Campbell, L., Brosi, M.W., & Brosi, W.A. (2002). The 33rd annual National Council on Family Relations media awards competition, Family Relations, 51, 89-100.