Carolyn S. Henry
340 Human Sciences
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||The University of Tennessee||Family Studies|
|M.S.||Oklahoma State University||Counseling and Guidance|
|M.S.||The University of Tennessee||Child and Family Studies|
|B.S.E.||Oklahoma Christian College||Social Studies Education|
|Family Dynamics||HDFS 3443|
|Family Risk and Resilience||HDFS 4423|
|Issues in Family Science||HDFS 5513|
|Family Theory||HDFS 5523|
|Analysis and Application of Family Theory||HDFS 6523|
Awards & Recognition:
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, 2010
- College of Human Sciences Outstanding Faculty Mentor, 1996
- Regents Distinguished Teaching Award, 1995
Research Statement:My research focuses on how overall family system dynamics and parenting interface with the broader social contexts to promote competence and resilience in adolescents. Most recently, I've worked with colleagues in California and North Carolina on the Fathers Count Project, an investigation of family, school and neighborhood contexts of risk and resilience for Latino and African American adolescents. I emphasize the integration of theory, research and application in my research, teaching, and outreach.
- Family Interaction
- Family Theory
- Family Risk and Resilience
- Families with Adolescents
- United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Fathers Count! A. Behnke, C. Henry & S. Plunkett, Principal Investigators, $457,278, 2008-2012.
- Oklahoma Department of Human Services, Office of Child Care, MS Program in Early Childhood Education: Issues in Family Science. C. Henry, Principal Investigator, $21,249, 2003.
- Lilly Endowment. Family Antecedents of Adolescent Caring Behavior. C. Henry, Principal Investigator. Lilly Endowment, $34,991, 1993-1995.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Oklahoma Agriculture Experiment Station Project: Conflict Management and Positive Parenting Intervention Study. Amanda Morris, Matthew Brosi, Carolyn Henry, & Michael Merten Co-PIs (Sept. 1, 2007 – Aug 31, 2009, $90,520).
- Oklahoma State University, HDFS Program Enhancement Incentive, Oklahoma State University, $1000, 2009-2010.
- Houltberg, B. J., Morris, A. S., Cui, L., Henry, C.S., & Criss, M. M. (In Press). The role of youth anger in explaining links between parenting and early adolescent prosocial and antisocial behavior. Journal of Early Adolescence, Published on-line December, 2014.
- Criss, M. M., Henry, C.S., Harrist, A. W., & Lazrelere, R. E. (2015). Interdisciplinary and innovative approaches to strengthening family and individual resilience: An introduction to the special issue. Family Relations, 64, 1-4. doi:10.1111/fare.12109
- Henry, C.S., Morris, A. S., & Harrist, A. W. (2015). Moving into the third wave. Family resilience: Family Relations, 64, 22-43.
- Henry, C.S. & Hubbs-Tait, L. (2013). New directions in authoritative parenting. In R. E. Larzelere, A. S. Morris, & A. W. Harrist (Eds.) Authoritative parenting: Synthesizing nurturance and discipline for optimal child development., pp. 237-264. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press. doi: 10.1037/13948-011
- Houltberg, B. J., Henry, C.S., & Morris, A. S. (2012). Family interactions, exposure to violence, and emotion regulation: Perceptions of children and early adolescents at-risk. Family Relations, 61, 283-296.
- Henry, C.S., Plunkett, S. W., & Sands, T. (2011). Family structure, parental involvement, and academic motivation in Latino adolescents. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 52(6), 370-390. doi:10.1080/10502556.2011.592414.
- Houltberg, B. J., Henry, C.S., Merten, M. J., & Robinson, L. C. (2011). Intrinsic religiosity, family cohesion, parental support, and adolescent depressed mood. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 20, 111-119. doi: 10.1007/s10826-010-9384-5.
- Merten, M.J. & Henry, C.S. (2011). Family structure, mother-daughter relationship quality, race/ethnicity, and adolescent girls’ health risks. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 52(3), 164-186. doi:10.1080/10502556.2011.556966.
- Plunkett, S. W., Ainsworth, A. T., Henry, C.S., & Behnke, A. O. (2011). The influence of survey format on reports about fathers and mothers. Fathering, 9(3), 313-327. doi: 10.3149/fth.0903.313.
- Henry, C.S., Plunkett, S.W., Robinson, L.C., Huey, E.L., & McMichael, B.J. (2009). Adolescents’ religious motivation, family functioning, and empathic concern. Journal for Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 28(4), 343–361. doi:10.1080/15426430903263229.
- Henry, C.S., Merten, M.J., Plunkett, S.W., & Sands, T. (2008). Neighborhood, parenting, and adolescent factors and academic achievement in Latino adolescents from immigrant families. Family Relations, 57, 579-590. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-3729.2008.00524.x
- Plunkett, S.W., Henry, C.S., Houltberg, B.J., Sands, T., & Abarca-Mortensen, S. (2008). Academic support by significant others and educational resilience in Mexican origin ninth grade students from intact families. Journal of Early Adolescence, 28, 333-355.
- Plunkett, S.W., Henry, C.S., Robinson, L. C., Behnke, A., & Falcon, P. (2007). Adolescent perceptions of parental behaviors, adolescent self-esteem, and adolescent depressed mood. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 16, 760-772.
- Heller, S. R., Robinson, L. C., Henry, C.S., & Plunkett, S.W. (2006). Gender differences in adolescent perceptions of parent-adolescent openness in communication and adolescent empathy. Marriage & Family Review, 40, 103-122.
- Henry, C.S., Robinson, L. C., Neal, R. A., & Huey, E. L. (2006). Adolescent perceptions of overall family system functioning and parental behaviors. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 15, 308-318.
- Henry, C.S., Nichols, J.P., Robinson, L.C., & Neal, R.A. (2005). Parent and stepparent support and psychological control in remarried families and adolescent empathic concern, Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 43 (3/4), 29-46.
- Henry, C.S., Robinson, L.C., & Wilson, S.M. (2003). Adolescent perceptions of their family system, parents' behavior, self-esteem, and family life satisfaction in relation to their substance use. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse, 13(2), 29-59.
- Plunkett, S.W. & Henry, C.S. (1999). Adolescent perceptions of interparental conflict, stressors, and coping as predictors of adolescent family life satisfaction. Sociological Inquiry, 69(4), 599-620.
- Plunkett, S.W., Henry, C.S., & Knaub, P.K. (1999). Family stressor events, family coping, and adolescent adaptation in farm and ranch families. Adolescence, 34(133), 147-168.
- Henry, C.S., Peterson, G.W., & Wilson, S.M. (1997). Adolescent social competence and parental satisfaction. Journal of Adolescent Research, 12(3), 389-409.
- Plunkett, S.W., Sanchez, M.G., Henry, C.S., & Robinson, L. (1997). The Double ABCX Model and children's post-divorce adaptation. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 27(3/4), 17-37.
- Wilson, S.M., Henry, C.S., & Peterson, G.W. (1997). Life satisfaction among low-income rural youth from Appalachia. Journal of Adolescence, 20, 443-459.
- Henry, C.S. (1996). A human ecological approach to adolescent suicide. The Prevention Researcher, 3(3), 1-5.
- Henry, C.S. (1996). Grandparenting. In T. Brubaker (Ed.), Vision 2010: Families & Aging, (pp. 14-15). Minneapolis, MN: National Council on Family Relations.
- Henry, C.S., Sager, D.W., & Plunkett, S.W. (1996). Adolescents’ perceptions of family system characteristics, parent-adolescent dyadic behaviors, adolescent qualities, and adolescent empathy. Family Relations, 45, 283-292.
- Stephenson, A., Henry, C.S., & Robinson, L.C. (1996). Family characteristics and adolescent substance use. Adolescence, 31, 59-77.
- Cogswell, C. & Henry, C.S. (1995). Grandchildren’s perceptions of grandparental support in divorced and intact families. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 23(3/4), 127-150.
- Henry, C.S. (1995). Family system characteristics, parental behaviors, and adolescent family life satisfaction. In D. Demo & A.M. Ambert (Eds.), Parents & Adolescents in Families, Minneapolis, MN: National Council on Family Relations. (Reprinted from Family Relations, 43, 447-455 1994.).
- Henry, C.S. & Lovelace, S.G. (1995). Family resources and adolescent family life satisfaction in remarried family households. Journal of Family Issues, 16(6), 765-786.
- Henry, C.S. & Peterson, G.W. (1995). Adolescent social competence, parental qualities, and parental satisfaction. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 65(2), 249-262.
- Henry, C.S. & Plunkett, S.W. (1995). Validation of the Adolescent Family Life Satisfaction Index: An update. Psychological Reports, 76, 672-674.
- Robinson, L.C., Garthoeffner, J.L., & Henry, C.S. (1995). Family structure and interpersonal relationship quality of young adults. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 23(3/4), 23-44.
- Anderson, A.R. & Henry, C.S. (1994). Family system characteristics and parental behaviors as predictors of adolescent substance use. Adolescence, 29(114), 405-420.
- Henry, C.S. (1994). Family system characteristics, parental behaviors, and adolescent family life satisfaction. Family Relations, 43, 447-455.
- Ostrander, D.L., Henry, C.S., & Fournier, D. (1994). Stress, family resources, coping, and adaptation in ministers' families. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 13(1), 50-67.
- Garthoeffner, J.L., Henry, C.S., & Robinson, L.C. (1993). The modified interpersonal relationship scale: Reliability and validity. Psychological Reports, 73, 995-1004.
- Henry, C.S., Ceglian, C.P., & Ostrander, D.L. (1993). The transition to stepgrandparenthood. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 19(3/4), 25-44. (Co-published in Everett, C. (Ed.), 1993. The Stepfamily Puzzle: Intergenerational Influences (pp. 25-44). New York, NY: Hayworth Press.)
- Henry, C.S., Stephenson, A.L., Hanson, M.F., & Hargett, W. (1993). Adolescent suicide and families: An ecological approach. Adolescence, 28(110), 291-308. (Reprinted at the publisher in Family Therapy, 21(1), 63-80. 1994.)
- Henry, C.S., Ceglian, C.P., & Matthews, D.W. (1992). The role behaviors, role meanings, and grandmothering styles of grandmothers and stepgrandmothers: Perceptions of the middle generation. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 17(3/4), 1-22.
- Henry, C.S., Couchenour, D., & Lane, M. (1992). Conducting family science research in child development laboratories. Family Science Review, 5(3/4), 1-15.
- Henry, C.S., Ostrander, D.L., & Lovelace, S.G. (1992). Reliability and validity of the adolescent Family Life Satisfaction Index. Psychological Reports, 70, 1223-1229.
- Henry, C.S. & Helling, M.K. (1991). Assessing excellence in undergraduate family science programs. Family Science Review, 4(12), 1-12.
- Ostrander, D.L., Henry, C.S., & Hendrix, C.C. (1990). The stressors of clergy children inventory: Reliability and validity. Psychological Reports, 67, 787-794.
- Henry, C.S., Wilson, S.M., & Peterson, G.W. (1989). Parental power bases and processes as predictors of adolescent conformity. Journal of Adolescent Research, 4, 15-32.