Amanda Sheffield Morris
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Temple University||Developmental Psychology|
|B.A.||Southwestern University||Psychology with Honors|
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Research on Adolescence
- Chair, Group IV (Social Sciences) Graduate Council
- Grant Reviewer: NIH, NSF, ACF
Awards & Recognition:
- Bryan Close Endowed Professorship
- Regents Distinguished Teaching Award, 2015
- Regents Distinguished Research Award, 2013
- Early Career Achievement Award for Excellence in Research, 2005
- Oklahoma Association for Infant Mental Health, Level IV Research Mentor
- National Council for Family Relations
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for Research on Adolescence
Research Statement:At the broadest level, my research focuses on understanding contextual influences on children and adolescents’ social and emotional development. Specifically, I am interested in examining effective parenting and children and adolescents’ emotion regulation and related behaviors. My parenting research has three primary foci – examining ways the dimensions of parenting interact with child temperament and emotion regulation to predict adjustment, assessing parental socialization of emotion regulation, and examining different components of parenting and how they interact with other familial and individual processes to affect adjustment. My research on emotional development has aims to understand different components of emotion regulation and determining best measurement techniques; examine the ways in which components of emotional development affect adjustment and the development of psychopathology; and examine the role of emotion regulation and emotionality in prosocial, moral development and resilience. I examine the development of children’s emotion regulation as the underlying core process involved in social and emotional development, adjustment and resilience. I am particularly interested in examining these processes in disadvantaged, high risk families and in children and youth during important transition points.
- Contextual Influences on Psychosocial Development
- Developmental Psychopathology
- Emotional Regulation and Emotional Socialization
- Social and Emotional Development in Childhood and Adolescence
- National Institutes of Health, NICHD: Understanding Resilience in Adolescent Girls: Parents, Peers, and Emotion Dynamics. PI with Co-Is Michael Criss and Jennifer Silk.
- National Institutes of Health: Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development Grant (ABCD), Laureate Institute for Brain Research, Study Site, Co-I with Martin Paulus (PI) and Kyle Simmons (Co-I).
- Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology (OCAST): Daily Peer Interactions and Enduring Relationship Attributes as Predictors of Adolescent Sleep. Co-I with PI Michael Criss.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Evaluation of the Legacy for ChildrenTM Tulsa Implementation. PI for University of Oklahoma Health Science Center subcontract.
- George Kaiser Family Foundation: Tulsa Children’s Project, implementing mental health and family engagement interventions for Tulsa Educare, Inc. PI with Jennifer Hays-Grudo.
- Opportunity Institute and George Kaiser Family Foundation: Evaluation of the Talking is Teaching Campaign, PI.
- Administration for Children and Families, Department of Health and Human Services: HPOG-II, Randomized Control Trial of CAP Tulsa’s Career Advance. Consultant on the program impact on children study with Teresa Sommer (PI).
- Administration for Children and Families, Department of Health and Human Services: Expanding the Cycle of Opportunity: Simultaneously educating Parents and Children in Head Start, Co-I with P. Lindsay Chase-Landsdale (PI), Hirokazu Yoshikawa (Co-PI), Teresa Sommer (Co-PI), Monica Barczak (Co-I), Terri Sabol (Co-I).
- Administration for Children and Families, HHS (HPOG-UP): CareerAdvance – Dual Generation Outcomes Study. PI for Northwestern University subcontract data collection. Project PI, P. Lindsay Chase-Landsdale.
- Foundation for Child Development, Family Life Study Supplemental Data Collection for Additional Waves for the Family Life Study. PI for Northwestern University subcontract longitudinal data collection.
- Harrist, A. W., Henry, C. S., Liu, C., Morris, A. S. Family resilience: The power of rituals and routines in family adaptive systems. B. Fiese (Ed.), The APA handbook of contemporary family psychology: Foundations, methods, and changing forms, Volume 1. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press.
- Houltberg, B. J., Morris, A. S., Cui, L., Henry, C. S., & Criss, M. M. (2016). The role of youth anger in explaining links between parenting and early adolescent prosocial and antisocial behavior. Journal of Early Adolescence. 36(3), 297-318. doi: 10.1177/0272431614562834
- *Terranova, A. M., Morris, A. S., *Myers, S., *Kithakye, M., & Morris, M. D. S. (2015). Preschool childrenâ€™s adjustment following a hurricane. Risk and resilience in the face of adversity. Early Education and Development.
- Cui, L., Morris, A. S., Harrist, A. W., Larzelere, R. E., Criss, M. M., & Houltberg, B. J. (2015). Adolescent dynamic RSA responses during an anger discussion task: Relations to emotion regulation and adjustment. Emotion, 15, 360-372.
- Cui, L., Morris, A. S., Larzelere, R. E., Harrist, A. W, & Criss, M. M. (2015). Dynamic changes in parent affect and adolescent cardiac vagal regulation: A real-time analysis. Journal of Family Psychology, 29, 180-190.
- Henry, C.S., Morris, A. S., & Harrist, A. W. (2015). Moving into the third wave. Family resilience: Family Relations, 64, 22-43.
- Cui, L., Morris, A. S., Criss, M.M., & Houltberg, B. J., & Silk, J. S. (2014). Parental psychological control and adolescent adjustment: The role of adolescent emotion regulation. Parenting: Science and Practice, 14, 47-67.
- Lora, K. R., Sisson, S. B., DeGrace, B. W., & Morris, A. S. (2014). Frequency of family meals and 6-11 year-old childrenâ€™s social behaviors. Journal of Family Psychology, 28, 577-582.
- Criss, M.M., Lee, T. K., Morris, A. S., Cui, L., Bosler, C. D., Shreffler, K.M., & Silk, J. S. (2013). Link between monitoring behavior and adolescent adjustment: An analysis of direct and indirect effects. Journal of Child and Family Studies, doi: 10.1007/s10826-013-9887-0
- Eisenberg, N., Spinrad, T., & Morris, A. S. (2013). Prosocial development. In P. Zelazo (Ed.) Oxford Handbook of Developmental Psychology, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Larzelere, R. E., Morris, A. S., & Harrist, A. W. (Eds.) (2013). Authoritative parenting: Synthesizing nurturance and discipline for optimal child development. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press. .
- Morris, A. S., *John, A., Halliburton, A. L., Morris, M. D. S., *Robinson, L. R., *Myers, S. S., *Aucoin, K. J., *Keyes, A. W., & *Terranova, A. (2013). Effortful control, behavior problems, and peer relations: What predicts academic adjustment in kindergarteners from low-income families. Early Education and Development, 24, 813-828.
- Morris, A. S., Cui, L., & Steinberg, L. (2013). Parenting research and themes: What we've learned and where to go next. In R. Larzelere, A. Morris, & A. Harrist (Eds.) New Directions in Authoritative Parenting, Washington, D.C: APA Books., pp. 35-58
- *John, A., Morris, A. S., & Halliburton, A.L. (2012). Looking beyond maternal sensitivity: Mother-child correlates of attachment security among children with intellectual disabilities in urban India. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 42(11), 2335-2345.
- Houltberg, B. J., Henry, C.S., & Morris, A. S. (2012). Family interactions, exposure to violence, and emotion regulation: Perceptions of children and early adolescents at-risk. Family Relations, 61, 283-296.
- Morris, A. S., Houltberg, B. J., & Eisenberg, N. (2011). Adolescent moral development. In. B. Brown & M. Prinstein (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Oxford: Elsevierâ€™s Academic Press, Note: The Encyclopedia was the recipient of the 2011 PROSE award for the best multivolume reference in humanities or social science.
- Morris, A. S., Silk, J. S., Morris, M. D. S., Steinberg, L., Aucoin, K. J., & Keyes, A W. (2011). The influence of mother-child strategies on childrenâ€™s expression of anger and sadness. Developmental Psychology, 47, 213-225.
- *Terranova, A. M., Boxer, P., & Morris, A. S. (2010). Responding to peer victimization in middle childhood: What is a victim to do? Journal of Aggression: Conflict and Peace Research, 30, 695-707.
- Kithakye, M., Morris, A. S., Myers, S. S., & Terranova, A. M. (2010). The Kenyan political conflict and childrenâ€™s adjustment. Child Development, special issue on Disasters and the Impact on Child Development, 81, 1113-1127.
- Morris, A. S., Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L. D., Terranova, A. M., & Kithakye, M. S. (2010). Concurrent and longitudinal links between childrenâ€™s externalizing behavior in school and observed anger regulation in the mother-child dyad. Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, Special Issue on Emotion Regulation, 32, 48-56.
- Eisenberg, N., Morris, A. S., McDaniel, B., & Spinrad, T. (2009). Moral cognitions and prosocial responding in adolescence. In R. Lerner & L. Steinberg (Eds.) Handbook of Adolescent Psychology, pp. 229-265.
- Morris, A. S. & Age, T. R. (2009). Adjustment among youth in military families: Protective roles of effortful control and maternal social support Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30, 695-707.
- Myers, S. S. & Morris, A. S. (2009). Examining relations between emotional reactivity, regulation, and the teacher-child relationship in predicting Head Start childrenâ€™s socioemotional adjustment Early Education and Development, 20, 756-774.
- Robinson, L. R., Morris, A. S., Heller, S. S., Scheeringa, M., Boris, N. W., & Smyke, A. T. (2009). Relations between emotion regulation, parenting, and psychopathology in young maltreated children in out of home care. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 18, 421-434.
- Terranova, A. M., Boxer, P., & Morris, A. S. (2009). Factors influencing the course of posttraumatic stress following a natural disaster: Childrenâ€™s reactions to Hurricane Katrina. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30, 344-355.
- Terranova, A. M., Boxer, P., & Morris, A. S. (2009). Changes in childrenâ€™s peer interactions following a natural disaster: How pre-disaster bullying and victimization rates changed following Hurricane Katrina. Psychology in the Schools, 46, 333-347.
- Boxer, P., Morris, A. S., Terranova, A. M., Kithakye, M., Savoy, S. C., & McFaul, A. (2008). Coping with exposure to violence: Relations to emotional symptoms and aggression in three urban samples. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 17, 881-893.
- Eisenberg, N., Morris, A. S., & Vaughn, J. (2008). Empathy and moral emotions. N. B. Allen & L. Sheeber (Eds.), Adolescent emotional development and the emergence of depressive disorders, pp. 174-194. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kimonis, E.R., Frick, P.J., Skeem, J.L., Marsee, M.A., Cruise, K., MuĂ±oz, L.C., Aucoin, K.J., & Morris, A. S. (2008). Assessing callous-unemotional traits in adolescent offenders: Validation of the Inventory of Callous-Unemotional Traits. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 31, 241-252.
- Morris, A. S. (2008). Making it through a traumatic life experience: Applications for teaching, research, and personal adjustment. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 2, 89-95.
- Reed, T. J., Goldstein, S., Morris, A. S., & Keyes, A. W. (2008). Relational aggression in mothers and children: Links with psychological control and child adjustment. Sex Roles, 59, 39-48.
- Terranova, A. M., Morris, A. S., & Boxer, P. (2008). Fear and effortful control in overt and relational bullying: A six month longitudinal study. Aggressive Behavior, 34, 104-115.
- Morris, A. S., Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L., Myers, S. S., & Robinson, L. R. (2007). The role of the family context in the development of emotion regulation Social Development, 16, 362-388.
- Kithakye, M. & Morris, A. S. (2006). Child Emotion Regulation and the Family Hauppaauge, NY: Nova Science., December
- Eisenberg, N., Morris, A. S., & Spinrad, T. L. (2005). Emotion-related regulation: The construct and its measurement. D. Teti (Ed.), Handbook of Research Methods in Developmental Science, (pp. 423-442). Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Morris, A. S., Robinson, L., & Eisenberg, N. (2005). Applying a multimethod perspective to the study of developmental psychology. M. Eid & E. Diener (Eds.), Handbook of Multimethod Measurement in Psychology, (pp. 371-384). APA Books: Washington, D.C.
- Robison, S., Frick, P. J., & Morris, A. S. (2005). Temperament and parenting: Implications for understanding developmental pathways to conduct disorder. Minerva Pediatrica, 57, 373-88.
- Eisenberg, N. & Morris, A. S. (2004). Moral cognitions and prosocial responding in adolescence. R. Lerner & L. Steinberg (Eds.) Handbook of Adolescent Psychology, (pp. 155-188). New York: Wiley & Sons.
- Frick, P. J. & Morris, A. S. (2004). Temperament and developmental pathways to severe conduct problems. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 33, 54-68.
- Silk, J. S., Sessa, F. M., Morris, A. S., Steinberg, L., & Avenevoli, S. (2004). Neighborhood cohesion as a buffer against hostile maternal parenting. Journal of Family Psychology, 18, 120-134.
- Eisenberg, N., Valiente, C., Morris, A. S., Fabes, R. A., Cumberland, A., Reiser, M., Gershoff, E. T., Shepard, S. A., & Lasoya, S. (2003). Longitudinal relations among parental emotional expressivity, childrenâ€™s regulation, and quality of socioemotional functioning. Developmental Psychology, 39, 3-19.
- Silk, J. S., Morris, A. S., Kanaya, T., & Steinberg, L. (2003). Psychological control and autonomy granting: Opposite ends of a continuum or distinct constructs? Journal of Research on Adolescence, 13, 113-128.
- Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L., & Morris, A. S. (2003). Adolescentsâ€™ emotion regulation in daily life: Links to depressive symptoms and problem behavior. Child Development, 74, 1869-1880.
- Eisenberg, N. & Morris, A. S. (2002). Childrenâ€™s emotion-related regulation. H. Reese & R. Kail (Eds.), Advances in Child Development and Behavior, 30, 189-229.
- Eisenberg, N., Spinrad, T. L., & Morris, A. S. (2002). Regulation, resiliency, and quality of social functioning. Self and Identity, 1, 121-128.
- Morris, A. S. & Eisenberg, N. (2002). Friendship. N. J. Salkind & L. H. Margolis (Eds.) Child Development, Vol. 1 (pp. 156-159). Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan.
- Morris, A. S., Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L., Sessa, F. M., Avenevoli, S., & Essex, M. J. (2002). Temperamental vulnerability and negative parenting as interacting predictors of child adjustment. Journal of Marriage and Family, 64, 461-471.
- Morris, A. S., Steinberg, L., Sessa, F. M., Avenevoli, S., Silk, J. S., & Essex, M. J. (2002). Measuring childrenâ€™s perceptions of psychological control: Developmental and conceptual considerations. B. K. Barber (Ed.), Intrusive Parenting: How Psychological Control Affects Children and Adolescents, (pp. 125-159). Washington, DC: Psychological Association Press.
- Eisenberg, N. & Morris, A. S. (2001). The origins and social significance of empathy-related responding. Social Justice, 14, 95-120.
- Sessa, F. M., Avenevoli. S., Steinberg, L., & Morris, A. S. (2001). Correspondence among informants on parenting: Preschool children, mothers, and observers. Journal of Family Psychology, 15, 53-68.
- Steinberg, L. & Morris, A. S. (2001). Adolescent development. Annual Review of Psychology, 52, 83-110.