417 Human Sciences
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Post-doc||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX||Molecular Cardiology|
|Ph.D.||University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI||Nutritional Sciences|
|M.S.||University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK||Nutritional Sciences|
|B.S.||University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK||Nutritional Sciences|
|Human Nutrition and Metabolism||NSCI 4323|
|Micronutrients in Human Nutrition||NSCI 5043|
|Research Methods in Nutritional Sciences||NSCI 5123|
|Experimental Methods in Nutritional Sciences||NSCI 5743|
- Oklahoma State University College of Human Sciences Faculty Advisory Council, Ex Officio Member, 2011 – Present
- Oklahoma State University Academic Integrity Panel, Undergraduate/Graduate Faculty Representative for College of Human Sciences, Fall 2008 – Present
- Oklahoma State University Faculty Council, Chair, Retirement and Fringe Benefits Committee, 2011 - Present
- Oklahoma State University Faculty Council, College of Human Sciences Representative, 2011 - Present
- Oklahoma State University Pre-Health Advisory Committee, Spring 2010 – Present
Awards & Recognition:
- Oklahoma State University, Mortar Board Honor Society, Golden Torch Award (2012)
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences, Marguerite Scruggs Award for Early Career Meritorious Research (2011)
- Oklahoma State University, Mortar Board Honor Society, Golden Torch Award, 2010
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences, Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award, 2009
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences Outstanding Advisor Award (2009)
- Oklahoma State University, Award for Excellence in Advisement, 2009
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Dietetic Association
- American Society for Nutrition
Research Statement:The goal of my current work is to better understand the molecular causes of symptoms associated with iron deficiency. My team is examining the microRNA profile of tissues that are central to maintaining normal iron homeostasis, and we have started to characterize the targets of iron-regulated microRNA. In slightly more applied research, I continue to collaborate with Drs. Lucas, Smith and Stoecker to assess the extent to which iron status affects an individual's risk of developing osteoporosis. Finally, more recently I have started to examine the role that iron plays in contributing to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease.
- Phytochemicals and epigenetic control of cholesterol metabolism
- Regulation of metal metabolism by non-coding RNAs
- Impact of iron status on metabolic disease
- Clarke SL. Molecular coordination of iron homeostasis by microRNAs. (May 2010 – March 2013), National Institutes of Health.
- Clarke SL, Smith BJ, and Lucas EA. Microarchitectural, structural, and cellular alterations in bone: Role of iron in maintaining optimal bone health. (August 2009 – July 2011), Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Clarke SL, Lucas EA, and Smith BJ. Common mechanisms controlling the response to iron and oxygen availability. (August 2008 – July 2011), United States Department of Agriculture.
- Smith BJ, Hermann J, Clarke SL, Leyva M, Stephens L, Aston C, Baker M, and Taylor C. Osteoporosis risk in Oklahoma Native American women: The role of inflammation and diabetes. (August 2008 – July 2010), Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Kuvibidila S, Smith BJ, Lightfoot, Clarke SL, and Lucas EA. Effect of mushrooms on endothelin-1 secretion and cancer. (August 2009 – July 2012), Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology.
- Davis, M.R., Hester, K.K., Lucas, E.A., Shawron, K.M., Smith, B.J., & Clarke, S.L. (2012). Comparisons of the iron deficient metabolic response in rats fed either an AIN-76 or AIN-93 based diet. Nutrition and Metabolism, 9(1): 95
- Davis, M.R., Smith, B.J., Lucas, E.A., & Clarke, S.L. (2012). Enhanced expression of lipogenic genes may contribute to hyperglycemia and alterations in plasma lipids in response to dietary iron deficiency. Genes Nutrition, 7(3):415-25.
- Lucas, E.A., Brown A, Li W, Peterson SK, Wang Y, Perkins-Veazie P, Clarke, S.L., & Smith, B.J. (2012). Mango modulates blood glucose similar to rosiglitazone without compromising bone parameters in mice fed high fat diet. J Pharm and Nutrition Sciences, 2(2): 115-126.
- Rendina, E., Lim YF, Marlow D, Wang Y, Clarke, S.L., Kuvibidila, S., Lucas, E.A., & Smith, B.J. (2012). Dietary supplementation with dried plum prevents ovariectomy-induced bone loss in C57BL/6 mice and modulates the immune response. Journal of Nutrition, 23(1):60-8.
- Chandra Christopher L, Lucas, E.A., Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). White button and shiitake mushrooms reduce the incidence and severity of collagen-induced arthritis in dilute brown non-agouti mice. Journal of Nutrition, 141(1):131-136.
- Christopher LC, Marlow D, Doffay J, Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). Differential effects of shiitake- and white button mushroom-supplemented diets on hepatic steatosis in C57/BL6 mice. Food Chem Toxicol, 49(12):3074-80. PMID: 21925564
- Davis MR, Shawron KM, Rendina E, Lucas, E.A., Smith, B.J., & Clarke, S.L. (2011). Hypoxia Inducible Factor 2-alpha is Translationally Repressed in Response to a Dietary Iron Deficiency in Sprague-Dawley Rats. Journal of Nutrition, 141(9): Epub 2011 Jul 13. PMID: 21753061
- Lucas, E.A., Li W, Peterson SK, Brown A, Kuvibidila S, Perkins-Veazie P, Clarke, S.L., & Smith, B.J. (2011). Mango modulates body fat and plasma glucose and lipids in mice fed high fat diet. British Journal of Nutrition, 106(10):1495-505.
- Peterson SK, Lucas, E.A., Traore D, Christopher LC, French C, Clarke, S.L., Lightfoot SA, Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). Effects of Portabella mushrooms on collagen-induced arthritis, inflammatory cytokines, and body composition in dilute brown non-agouti (DBA1) mice. Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 1(9):279-296.
- Lucas, E.A., Dumancas GG, Smith, B.J., Clarke, S.L., & Arjmandi BH (2009). Health benefits of bitter melon (Momordica charantia). Johnson CD, Lucas, E.A., Hooshmand S, Campbell S, Akhter MP, Arjmandi BH. Addition of fructooligosaccharides and dried pum to soy-based diets reverses bone loss in the ovariectomized rat. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2008 Jul 30.
- Lawrance, C.C., Lucas, E.A., Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila (2009). Differential effects of isofluorane and CO2 inhalation on plasma levels of inflammatory markers associated with collagen-induced arthritis in DBA mice. Int. J. Immunopharmacol, 9(7-8):807-9.
- Dioum, A., Clarke, S.L., Ding, K., Repa, J., & Garcia, J.A. (2008). HIF-2a haploinsufficient mice have blunted retinal neovascularization due to impaired expression of a proangiogenic gene battery. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Feb 8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Valasek, M.A., Clarke, S.L., & Repa, J.J. (2007). Fenofibrate reduces intestinal cholesterol absorption via PPARalpha -dependent modulation of NPC1L1 expression in mouse. Journal of Lipid Research, August 28 [Epub ahead of print].
- Clarke, S.L., Vasanthakumar, A., Anderson, S.A., Pondarre, C., Koh, C.M., Deck, K.M., Pitula, J.S., Epstein, C.J., Fleming, M.D., & Eisenstein, R.S. (2006). Iron-responsive degradation of iron-regulatory protein 1 does not require the Fe-S cluster. EMBO Journal, 25(3):544-53.
- Pondarre, C., Antiochos, B.B., Campagna, D.R., Clarke, S.L., Greer, E.L., Deck, K.M., McDonald, A., Han, A.P., Medlock, A., Kutok, J.L., Anderson, S.A., Eisenstein, R.S., & Fleming, M.D. (2006). The mitochondrial ATP-binding cassette transporter Abcb7 is essential in mice and participates in cytosolic iron-sulfur cluster biogenesis. Human Molecular Genetics, 15(6):953-64.
- Rincker, M.J., Clarke, S.L., Eisenstein, R.S., Link, J.E., & Hill, G.M. (2005). Effects of iron supplementation on binding activity of iron-regulatory proteins and the subsequent effect on growth performance and indices of hematological and mineral status of young pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 83(9):2137-45.
- Bradly, J., Leibold, E.A., Harris, Z.L., Wobken, J.D., Clarke, S.L., Zumbrennen, K.B., Eisenstein, R.S., & Georgieff, M.K. (2004). The Influence of Gestational Age and Fetal Iron Status on Iron Regulatory Protein Activity and Iron Transporter protein Expression in Third Trimester Human Placenta. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 287(4):R894-901.
- Hill, M.R., Clarke, S.L., Rodgers, K., Thornhill, B., Peters, J., Gonzalez, F., & Gimble, J.M. (1999). Effect of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Alpha Activators on Tumor Necrosis Factor Expression in Mice During Endotoxemia. Infection and Immunity, 67(7):3488-3493.
- Gimble, J.M., Robinson, C.E., Clarke, S.L., & Hill, M.R. (1998). Nuclear Hormone Receptors and Adipogenesis. Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression, 8(2):141-168.
- Clarke, S.L., Robinson, C.E., & Gimble, J.M. (1997). CAAT/Enhancer Binding Proteins Directly Modulate Transcription for the Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor 2 Promoter. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 240:99-103.