|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University||Housing, Interior Design and Resource Management|
|M.U.R.P.||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University||Urban and Regional Planning|
|B.Arch||Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña, Dominican Republic||Architecture. Cum Laude|
Research Statement:My scholarship includes understanding the housing decisions made by Hispanics and Hispanic immigrants in the US; particularly at a time of economic distress in the nation and a rise in anti-immigrant sentiments. The overall goal is to translate findings into recommendations for housing providers, counselors, renters and homeowners. Train-the-trainer programs for county educators will help address the need to improve housing for the largest minority group in Oklahoma.
- ** Parrott, K., & Atiles, J.H. (In press). Home Environments and Health (Chapter 3). Katrin B. Anaker & Andrew T. Carswell (Eds.), Introduction to Housing. University of Georgia Press.
- *Atiles, J.H., Crocoll, C.E., & Schuchardt, J. (2015). Chapter I-2: Extending knowledge, changing lives. In Sharon Y. Nickols & Gewn Kay (editors), Remaking Home Economics: Resourcefulness and Innovation in Changing Times. University of Georgia Press.
- *Atiles, J.H., Jenkins, C., Rayas-Duarte, P., Taylor, R.K., & Zhang, H. (2014). Chapter 4: Service, Cooperative Extension, and community engagement. In obert J. Sternberg (editor), The
Modern Land-Grant University. Purdue University Press.
**Atiles, J.H. (2015, spring). Building Sustainable Housing Markets [Book Review]. Journal of
Planning Education and Research,35(1), 98-100.
- Fabregas Janeiro, M. G. & Atiles, J. H. (In Press, 2015). Build an Interculturally Competent Community (ICC) which understands and accepts cultural differences and is actively engaged serving the entire population of the State of Oklahoma. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship (JCES).
- Peek, G., Penn, C., & Atiles, J. (2013). New best management for phosphorus in the water.
- Atiles, J.H. (2012). Farmers Home Administration: Rural Housing Service. The Encyclopedia of Housing (2nd Edition)., Andrew T. Carswell, Editor. SAGE.
- James III, R.N., Atiles, J.H., & Robb, C.A. (2011). Homeownership Plans among Hispanic Renters: Ethnic Differences or Geographic Differences? Housing & Society, 38(2), 191-209.
- *Firebaugh, F.M., Nickols, S.Y., Atiles, J.H., & Turkii, K. (2010). "Sustaining FCS in higher education : A 2010 perspective", Vol. 102, No. 4. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 17-23.
- *Nickols, S.Y., Turkki, K., Pichler, G., Kirjavainen, L.K., Atiles, J.H., & Firebaugh, F.M. (2010). A global perspective for FCS: Sustaining families, communities, and the natural environment by building social capital. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 102 (4), 10-16.
- James, R. N., III., Robb, C. A., Carswell, A. T., & Atiles, J.H. (2010). Housing costs among low-income renters and homeowners: 'Rent v. buy' and the hidden costs of low-income homeownership. In F. Columbus (Ed.), Housing costs: Trends, impact and prediction. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers., pp. 171-179
- Bohon, S., Atiles, J.H., & Stamps, K. (2008). Transportation and migrant adjustment in Georgia. Population Research and Policy Review, 27(3), 273-291.
- James III, R. & Atiles, J.H. (2008). The transitioning nature of Hispanic renters. Housing Policy Debate, 19(1), 177-206.
- ** Parrott, K., , & (). , , Atiles, J.H., & Vogel, M. (2005). Home Environments and Health (Chapter 3). In Housing and Education Research Association (Ed.) Introduction to Housing, Prentice-Hall.
- Bohon, S.A. , Macpherson, H., & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Education barriers for new Latinos in Georgia. Journal of Latinos and Education, 4(1), 43-58.
- Marlowe, J. & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Consumer fraud associated with driver's license policy regarding Latino immigrants. Journal of Latin American Urban Studies, 7(1), 1-21.
- Marlowe, J. & Atiles, J.H. (2005). Consumer fraud and Latino immigrant consumers in the United States. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 29(5), 391-400.
- Sweaney, A.L., Manley, K.S., Atiles, J.H., Bachtel, D.C., Cude, B.J., Ragsdale, M.G., Rodgers, T.F., Tinsley, K.L., Valente, J.S., & Shelton, G.G. (2004). Rural workforce housing: Perceived barriers and incentives for development. Housing and Society, 31(1), 15-28.
- Atiles, J.H. (2003). Cultural influences on housing (a section in Chapter 2, Influences on housing). In E. Lewis & C. Turner (Eds.), Housing Decisions (8th ed.), Tinley Park, IL: The Goodheart-Wilcox Company, Inc., pp. 51-53.
- Atiles, J.H. & Bohon, S.A. (2003). Camas calientes: Housing adjustments and barriers to social and economic adaptation among Georgiaâ€™s rural Latinos. In R. Saenz & C. Torres (Guest Eds.), Special Issue: Latinos in the South. Southern Rural Sociology, 19 (1), 97-122.
- Atiles, J.H., Wysocki, J.L., & Tremblay, K.R. (2003). Energy Star ®: Introducing a new cooperative extension partnership. Housing & Society, 30(1), 59-68.
- Atiles, J.H. & Cude, B.J. (2002). Expanding on the meaning of resource development for Family and Consumer Sciences in the 21st Century. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 94(2), 9-10.
- Goss, R.C. , Beamish, J.O., Atiles, J.H., & Kim, Y. (2001). Not a trailer anymore. Housing Policy Debate, 12(2), 373-392.
- Atiles, J.H., Goss, R.C., & Beamish, J.O. (2000). Community attitudes toward manufactured housing in Virginia. Housing & Society, 25(3), 1-22.
- Shelton, G.G. & Atiles, J.H. (1995). A qualitative approach for assessing receptivity to federal housing initiatives: The focus group technique. Housing and Society, 22(3), 17-29.
- Shelton, G.G. & Atiles, J.H. (1994). Focus groups: Gauging residents' responses. Journal of Housing, 51(6), 29-33.