312 Human Sciences
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Iowa State University|
|M.S.||University of New York at Albany|
|Prin. Human Nutrition||NSCI 2114|
|Nutrition Across the Life Span||NSCI 3223|
|Nutritional Assessment and Counseling Skills||NSCI 3813|
|Community Nutrition||NSCI 4733|
|Spec Unit Studies NSCI||NSCI 4850|
|Maternal & Infant Nutrition||NSCI 5363|
|Childhood Nutrition||NSCI 5373|
- (2001 - 2004) Professional Development Committee, SoonerStart Interagency Coordinating Council. State of Oklahoma
- (2002) CHES Faculty Advisory Committee, At large member
- (2005 - 2007) HES Assessment Committee: NSCI representative Oklahoma Obesity Prevention Planning Grant: School and health sub-committee
- (2006) Oklahoma Obesity Prevention Planning Grant: School and health sub-committee
- (2006 - 2007) University Assessent Committee: HES Representative
Awards & Recognition:
- 1999 Dannon Leadership Institute Recipient
- 2008 COHS Outstanding Graduate Advisor
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Dietetic Association
Research Statement:Iím interested in working with students and assisting them in understanding that research is the basis for their professional practice. My research interests are in maternal and child health. Currently, I have two active collaborations which are examining the effects of maternal nutritional status on infant cognitive development and looking at how behavioral economic principles can impact childrenís choices in the school lunch program.
- Effects of heavy metals on child development
- Effects of micronutrients on child development
- Children with disabilities
- Maternal and child nutrition
- Thomas, D. (PI), Kennedy T., Hubbs-Tait, L. & Stoecker, B. Maternal Dietary nutrients and neurotoxins in infant cognitive development. (2008-1020) US Department of Agriculture ($270,000).
- Hambidge, M. (PI), Abebe, Y., Stoecker, B., Krebbs, N., Kennedy, T., Hubbs-Tait, L. & Thomas, D. Zinc and Maternal-Infant Cognition in S. Ethiopia: Randomized Controlled Trials. Sub-contract from University of Colorado. (2007- 2011). (approx $200,000)
- Hubbs-Tait, L. (PI), Kennedy, T., Richardson, D., Hermann, J., Brown, B. & Stoecker, B. Effectiveness of parenting and nutrition education in obesity prevention and promotion of child cognition(2006-2008). Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station($50,000)
- Harrist, A. (PI), Kennedy, T., Topham, G., Hubbs-Tait, L. & Page, M. Intervening in Family and Peer Contexts to Decrease Child Obesity:(2005-2008). US Department of Agriculture ($1,000,000).
- Hambidge, M. (PI). Zinc Nutrition and Brain Function in Sourthern Ethiopian Children and their Mothers. Sub-contract from Univesity of Colorado with Stoecker b., Hubbs-Tait, L. & Kennedy, T. (2003-2006). National Institutes of Health($50,000).
- Evans, S. F., Tenkku, L. E., Kennedy, T., Zoorob, R., & Rudeen, K. (2014). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: Survey of healthcare providers after continuing education. Journal of Intellectual Disability Diagnosis and Treatment, 2(2), 133-143.
- *Aubuchon-Endsley NL., *Grant SL, Thomas DG, Kennedy, T., Berhanu G, Stoecker, B. J., Hubbs-Tait, L., & Hambidge, K. M. (2012). Infant responsiveness, alertness, hemoglobin and growth in rural Sidama, Ethiopia. Maternal and Child Nutrition, Advance online publication. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2011.00391.x.
- *Aubuchon-Endsley, N. L., Thomas, D. G., Kennedy, T. S., *Grant, S. L., & *Valtr, T. (2012). Interactive effects of maternal affect and nutrition on parenting. Women & Health, 52(3), 197-213. doi: 10.1080/03630242.2012.662933.
- Harrist, A. W., Topham, G.L., Hubbs-Tait, L., Page, M. C., Kennedy, T. S., & Shriver, L. H. (2012). What developmental science can contribute to a transdisciplinary understanding of Childhood Obesity: An inter- and intrapersonal risk model. Child Development Perspectives, 6, 445-465.
- Topham, G.L., Hubbs-Tait, L., Rutledge, J. M., Page, M. C., Kennedy, T. S., Shriver, L. H., & Harrist, A. H. (2011). Parenting styles, parental response to child emotion, and family emotional expressiveness are related to child emotional eating. Appetite, 56, 261-264.
- Topham, G.L., Harrist, A. W. , Page, M. C., Rutledge, J. M., Kennedy, T., Shriver, L. H., & Hubbs-Tait, L. (2010). Maternal Depression and Socioeconomic Status Moderate the Parenting Style/Child Obesity Association. Public Health Nutrition, 13, 1237-1244.
- DeVault, N., Kennedy, T, Hermann, J., Mwavita, M., Rask, P., & Jaworsky, A. (2009). Itís all about kids: Preventing overweight in elementary school children in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109(4):680-7.
- Hubbs-Tait, L., *Mulugeta A , *Bogale A, Kennedy, T., & Stoecker, B.J. (2009). Independent and interactive effects of iron, lead, and parenting on childrenís cognitive outcomes. Developmental Neuropsychology, 34:175-195.
- Hubbs-Tait, L., Mulugeta, A., Bogale, A., Kennedy, T. S., Baker, E. R., & Stoecker, B. J. (2009). Main and interaction effects of iron, zinc, lead, and parenting on childrenís cognitive outcomes. Developmental Neuropsychology, 34, 175Ė195.
- Stoecker, B. J., Abebe, Y., Hubbs-Tait, L., Kennedy, T. S., Gibson, R. S., Arbide, I., Teshome, A., Westcott, J., Krebs, N. F., & Hambidge, K. M. (2009). Zinc status and cognitive function of pregnant women in Southern Ethiopia. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 63:916-918.
- Hubbs-Tait, L., Kennedy, T, Page, M.C., Topham, G.L., & Harrist, A.W. (2008). Authoritative, authoritarian, and permissive parenting styles: predicted by unique combinations of restriction, pressure, responsibility, monitoring and modeling. Journal of American Dietetic Association, 108: 1154-1161.
- Hubbs-Tait, L., Kennedy, T, Page, M.C., Topham, G.L., & Harrist, A.W. (2008). Parenting Practices and Nutrition Practice, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 108:1161-1163
- Kennedy, T.S., Thomas, D.G., Wogene, T., Abebe, Y., Hubbs-Tait, L., Stoecker, B.J., & Hambidge, K.M. (2008). Growth and visual information processing in infants in southern Ethiopia. Journal of Applied Development Psychology, 29:129-140.
- Hubbs-Tait, L., Kennedy, T, Droke, E.A., Belanger, D.M., & Parker, J. (2007). Zinc, iron and lead:Relations to Head Start children's cognitive scores and teachers' ratings of behavior. Journal of American Dietetic Association, 107:128-133.
- Parker, S., Pinto, V., Kennedy, T., Phelps, J.A., & Hermann, J. (2007). Food Choices and Coping Strategies during Periods of Perceived Food Shortage: Perspectives from Four Racial/Ethnic Groups. Journal of Extension, Volume 45 Number 5. Article Number 5FEA6.
- Droke, E.A., Kennedy, T.S., & Hubbs-Tait, L. (2006). Potential for misclassification of micronutrient status in children participating in Head Start, Journal of American Dietetic Association, 106:376-382.
- Mathule, L., Kennedy, T., Gates, G., & Spicer, M.T. (2005). Predictors of birthweight in health women attending a rural antenatal clinic, African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 5(1).
- Kennedy, T.S., Fung, E.B., Kawchak, D.A., Zemel, B.S., Ohene-Frempong, K., & Stallings, V.A. (2001). Red blood cell folate and serum B12 status in children with sickle cell disease. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 23(3), 165-169.
- Kennedy, T.S., Oakland, M.J., & Brotherson, M.J. (2000). Making feeding decisions for preterm low birth weight infants: A family systems approach. Topics in Clinical Nutrition, 15(2), 38-48.
- Kennedy, T.S., Oakland, M.J., & Shaw, R. (2000). A nutrition intervention with families of low birth weight infants. Nutrition in Clinical Practice, 15, 30-35.
- Kennedy, T.S., Oakland, M.J., & Shaw, R. (1999). Growth patterns and nutritional factors associated with increased head circumference at 18 months in normally developing low birth weight infants. Journal of American Dietetic Association, 19, 1522-1526.