- Programs & Admissions
- Student Life
- About Us
- Apply Now
Ph.D. Admission Requirements
- Prior Academic Work: To be adequately prepared for doctoral work, applicants should
have successfully completed a thesis during the master’s degree and at least one college-level
course in both research methods and statistics. Applicants without these course requirements
for admission may be admitted with deficiencies.
- GPA: Applicants should have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.25 on a
4.0 scale in graduate-level course work. In exceptional circumstances students with
a lower GPA may be admitted if there are other indications of ability to do doctoral-level
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants should submit three (3) letters of recommendation
which strongly support the applicant's interest in and promise for successful work
for a Ph.D. degree. These letters should address how the applicant's prior academic
and professional performance indicates ability to successfully complete Ph.D. course
and dissertation work. The most useful letters come from faculty who have had direct
experience with the applicant and can speak to the applicant’s academic strengths.
Letters from employers can also be appropriate to the extent that they address work
- Applicant's Statement of Purpose and Goals: This statement must address why the applicant
is interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration at Oklahoma State
University. Additionally, the statement must explicitly address career goals and an
area of research intended for the dissertation. The applicant is asked to identify
at least two Hotel and Restaurant Administration faculty members s/he would prefer
to work with and explain why. Also appropriate for inclusion in the Statement of Purpose
and Goals: an explanation of how career goals have evolved; examples of prior professional
and/or educational work; a description of participatory research experiences; and
a description of any professional or significant volunteer experiences which have
shaped interests in doctoral study. This statement will help the admission committee
assess the fit between the applicant’s background and goals, and the graduate program
for which s/he is applying.
- Resume or CV
- Official GRE Scores or GMAT Scores: Submission of scores from either the Graduate
Records Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) is a requirement
for admission into the Ph.D. program for all applicants. There are no exceptions to
this requirement, and applications will not be considered for admission if an official
GRE or GMAT score is not submitted. The GRE/GMAT test score is just one of many factors
– including letters of recommendations, statement of purpose and goals, cumulative
GPA from master’s degree, etc. – which are considered when reviewing an application.
While there are no minimum requirements for the GRE/GMAT, HES policy does recommend the following threshold scores (GRE: verbal - 450 or higher; quantitative - 580 or
higher; analytical writing - 4.0 or higher) (GMAT: verbal - 28 or higher; quantitative
- 35 or higher; analytical writing – 4.0 or higher). GRE/GMAT scores must be competitive
with the current applicant pool to be considered for admission, and also may be used
when awarding graduate assistantships. Test scores are valid for five years from the
date of the original test. If the GRE/GMAT was taken more than five years ago, it
must be retaken and the new score submitted by the application deadline, if any. If
an applicant has taken the test more than once, the highest score will be used in
evaluation of the application.
- English Proficiency Tests: Applicants for whom English is a second language are required to demonstrate an acceptable level of spoken English by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score. A minimum score of 79 on the internet-based TOEFL (or a minimum of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL) is required for admission. Alternatively, an official IELTS (academic stream) examination with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 also will satisfy the English proficiency requirements for admission. Either examination must have been taken within the last two years.