- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- About Us
- Apply Now
Professor & Interim Department Head301 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Post-doc||University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX||Molecular Cardiology|
|Ph.D.||University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI||Nutritional Sciences|
|M.S.||University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK||Nutritional Sciences|
|B.S.||University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK||Nutritional Sciences|
Phytochemicals and epigenetic control of cholesterol metabolism, Regulation of metal metabolism by non-coding RNAs, Impact of iron status on metabolic disease
- Davis, M.R., Hester, K.K., Lucas, E.A., Shawron, K.M., Smith, B.J., & Clarke, S.L. (2012). Comparisons of the iron deficient metabolic response in rats fed either an AIN-76 or AIN-93 based diet. Nutrition and Metabolism, 9(1): 95
- Davis, M.R., Smith, B.J., Lucas, E.A., & Clarke, S.L. (2012). Enhanced expression of lipogenic genes may contribute to hyperglycemia and alterations in plasma lipids in response to dietary iron deficiency. Genes Nutrition, 7(3):415-25.
- Lucas, E.A., Brown A, Li W, Peterson SK, Wang Y, Perkins-Veazie P, Clarke, S.L., & Smith, B.J. (2012). Mango modulates blood glucose similar to rosiglitazone without compromising bone parameters in mice fed high fat diet. J Pharm and Nutrition Sciences, 2(2): 115-126.
- Rendina, E., Lim YF, Marlow D, Wang Y, Clarke, S.L., Kuvibidila, S., Lucas, E.A., & Smith, B.J. (2012). Dietary supplementation with dried plum prevents ovariectomy-induced bone loss in C57BL/6 mice and modulates the immune response. Journal of Nutrition, 23(1):60-8.
- Chandra Christopher L, Lucas, E.A., Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). White button and shiitake mushrooms reduce the incidence and severity of collagen-induced arthritis in dilute brown non-agouti mice.Journal of Nutrition, 141(1):131-136.
- Christopher LC, Marlow D, Doffay J, Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). Differential effects of shiitake- and white button mushroom-supplemented diets on hepatic steatosis in C57/BL6 mice. Food Chem Toxicol, 49(12):3074-80. PMID: 21925564
- Davis MR, Shawron KM, Rendina E, Lucas, E.A., Smith, B.J., & Clarke, S.L. (2011). Hypoxia Inducible Factor 2-alpha is Translationally Repressed in Response to a Dietary Iron Deficiency in Sprague-Dawley Rats. Journal of Nutrition, 141(9): Epub 2011 Jul 13. PMID: 21753061
- Lucas, E.A., Li W, Peterson SK, Brown A, Kuvibidila S, Perkins-Veazie P, Clarke, S.L., & Smith, B.J. (2011). Mango modulates body fat and plasma glucose and lipids in mice fed high fat diet. British Journal of Nutrition, 106(10):1495-505.
- Peterson SK, Lucas, E.A., Traore D, Christopher LC, French C, Clarke, S.L., Lightfoot SA, Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila, S. (2011). Effects of Portabella mushrooms on collagen-induced arthritis, inflammatory cytokines, and body composition in dilute brown non-agouti (DBA1) mice. Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 1(9):279-296.
- Lucas, E.A., Dumancas GG, Smith, B.J., Clarke, S.L., & Arjmandi BH (2009). Health benefits of bitter melon (Momordica charantia). Johnson CD, Lucas, E.A., Hooshmand S, Campbell S, Akhter MP, Arjmandi BH. Addition of fructooligosaccharides and dried pum to soy-based diets reverses bone loss in the ovariectomized rat. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2008 Jul 30.
- Lawrance, C.C., Lucas, E.A., Clarke, S.L., Smith, B.J., & Kuvibidila (2009). Differential effects of isofluorane and CO2 inhalation on plasma levels of inflammatory markers associated with collagen-induced arthritis in DBA mice.Int. J. Immunopharmacol, 9(7-8):807-9.
- Dioum, A., Clarke, S.L., Ding, K., Repa, J., & Garcia, J.A. (2008). HIF-2a haploinsufficient mice have blunted retinal neovascularization due to impaired expression of a proangiogenic gene battery. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Feb 8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Valasek, M.A., Clarke, S.L., & Repa, J.J. (2007). Fenofibrate reduces intestinal cholesterol absorption via PPARalpha -dependent modulation of NPC1L1 expression in mouse. Journal of Lipid Research, August 28 [Epub ahead of print].
- Clarke, S.L., Vasanthakumar, A., Anderson, S.A., Pondarre, C., Koh, C.M., Deck, K.M., Pitula, J.S., Epstein, C.J., Fleming, M.D., & Eisenstein, R.S. (2006). Iron-responsive degradation of iron-regulatory protein 1 does not require the Fe-S cluster. EMBO Journal, 25(3):544-53.
- Pondarre, C., Antiochos, B.B., Campagna, D.R., Clarke, S.L., Greer, E.L., Deck, K.M., McDonald, A., Han, A.P., Medlock, A., Kutok, J.L., Anderson, S.A., Eisenstein, R.S., & Fleming, M.D. (2006). The mitochondrial ATP-binding cassette transporter Abcb7 is essential in mice and participates in cytosolic iron-sulfur cluster biogenesis. Human Molecular Genetics, 15(6):953-64.
- Rincker, M.J., Clarke, S.L., Eisenstein, R.S., Link, J.E., & Hill, G.M. (2005). Effects of iron supplementation on binding activity of iron-regulatory proteins and the subsequent effect on growth performance and indices of hematological and mineral status of young pigs. Journal of Animal Science, 83(9):2137-45.
- Bradly, J., Leibold, E.A., Harris, Z.L., Wobken, J.D., Clarke, S.L., Zumbrennen, K.B., Eisenstein, R.S., & Georgieff, M.K. (2004). The Influence of Gestational Age and Fetal Iron Status on Iron Regulatory Protein Activity and Iron Transporter protein Expression in Third Trimester Human Placenta. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 287(4):R894-901.
- Hill, M.R., Clarke, S.L., Rodgers, K., Thornhill, B., Peters, J., Gonzalez, F., & Gimble, J.M. (1999). Effect of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Alpha Activators on Tumor Necrosis Factor Expression in Mice During Endotoxemia. Infection and Immunity, 67(7):3488-3493.
- Gimble, J.M., Robinson, C.E., Clarke, S.L., & Hill, M.R. (1998). Nuclear Hormone Receptors and Adipogenesis.Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression, 8(2):141-168.
- Clarke, S.L., Robinson, C.E., & Gimble, J.M. (1997). CAAT/Enhancer Binding Proteins Directly Modulate Transcription for the Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor 2 Promoter. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 240:99-103.
|Human Nutrition and Metabolism||NSCI 4323|
|Micronutrients in Human Nutrition||NSCI 5043|
|Research Methods in Nutritional Sciences||NSCI 5123|
|Experimental Methods in Nutritional Sciences||NSCI 5743|
Awards & Recognition:
- Oklahoma State University, Mortar Board Honor Society, Golden Torch Award (2012)
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences, Marguerite Scruggs Award for Early Career Meritorious Research (2011)
- Oklahoma State University, Mortar Board Honor Society, Golden Torch Award, 2010
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences, Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award, 2009
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences Outstanding Advisor Award (2009)
- Oklahoma State University, Award for Excellence in Advisement, 2009
- Clarke SL. Molecular coordination of iron homeostasis by microRNAs. (May 2010 – March 2013), National Institutes of Health.
- Clarke SL, Smith BJ, and Lucas EA. Microarchitectural, structural, and cellular alterations in bone: Role of iron in maintaining optimal bone health. (August 2009 – July 2011), Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Clarke SL, Lucas EA, and Smith BJ. Common mechanisms controlling the response to iron and oxygen availability. (August 2008 – July 2011), United States Department of Agriculture.
- Smith BJ, Hermann J, Clarke SL, Leyva M, Stephens L, Aston C, Baker M, and Taylor C. Osteoporosis risk in Oklahoma Native American women: The role of inflammation and diabetes. (August 2008 – July 2010), Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Kuvibidila S, Smith BJ, Lightfoot, Clarke SL, and Lucas EA. Effect of mushrooms on endothelin-1 secretion and cancer. (August 2009 – July 2012), Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology.
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Dietetic Association
- American Society for Nutrition
- Oklahoma State University College of Human Sciences Faculty Advisory Council, Ex Officio Member, 2011 – Present
- Oklahoma State University Academic Integrity Panel, Undergraduate/Graduate Faculty Representative for College of Human Sciences, Fall 2008 – Present
- Oklahoma State University Faculty Council, Chair, Retirement and Fringe Benefits Committee, 2011 - Present
- Oklahoma State University Faculty Council, College of Human Sciences Representative, 2011 - Present
- Oklahoma State University Pre-Health Advisory Committee, Spring 2010 – Present