- About Us
- Apply Now
Department Head and Associate Professor445 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Oklahoma State University||Clothing, Textiles and Merchandising|
|M.S.||Iowa State University||Clothing and Textures|
|B.S.||Colorado State University||Textiles and Clothing
I am working with a colleague at the University of Tennessee in developing and testing a new scale for evaluating small business owners to distinguish those who are growth oriented from those who are lifestyle oriented. We have published on this and are in the midst of analyzing a national data set we gathered during the last academic year. Entrepreneurship is my interest.
- Ryu, J. & Swinney, J. (2013). Branding Smallville: Community Place Brand Communication and Business Owner Perceptions of Performance in small town America. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 7(2), 98-108.
- Ryu, J., Swinney, J., Muske, G., & Zachary, R. (2012). Business Orientation, Goals and Satisfaction of Korean-American Business Owners. East Asian Journal of Business Management, 2(2), 5-11.
- Jin, B., Swinney, J., Cao, H., Muske, G., Nam, J., & Kang, J.H. (2011). Doing business with China: Curriculum internationalization through an infusion method Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 48(2),171-181.
- Runyan, R., Ge, B., Dong, B., & Swinney, J. (2011). Entrepreneurial Orientation in Cross-cultural Research: Assessing Measurement Invariance in the Construct. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 1-18.
- Ryu, J. & Swinney, J. (2011). Downtown Branding as an Engine of Downtown Business Success in Small Communities. Place Branding and Diplomacy Journal, 7(2), 1-10.
- Sneed, C. T, Runyan, R, Swinney, J. L., & Lim, H. J. (2011). Brand, business mix, sense-of-place: do they matter downtown? Journal of Place Management and Development, 4(2), 121.
- Kim, J., Jin, B., & Swinney, J. (2009). An integrative model of e-loyalty development process: The role of etail quality, e-satisfaction, and e-trust Journal of Retailing and Consumer Research, 16, 239-247.
- Runyan, R., Huddleston, P., & Swinney, J. (2009). A Model of Small Retailer Innovation Proneness: Early Internet Adoption as a Measure of Innovation. Business Quest, 14(1),1-26.
- Ryu, J. & Swinney, J. (2009). How Can Wal-Mart and Carrefour Offer a Better Shopping Experience? Journal of Global Business and Trade, 5(2),51-64.
- Niehm, L. S., Swinney, J., & Miller, N. J. (2008). Community Social Responsibility and Its Consequences for Family Business Performance. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(3), 331-350.
- Runyan, R., Droge, C., & Swinney, J. (2008). Entrepreneurial Orientation Versus Small Business Orientation: Do Their Relationships to Firm Performance. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(4), 567-588.
- Swinney, J. (2008). Sponsorship, Community, and Social Capital Resources in Indigenous Communities. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 13(3), 363-379.
- Muske, G., Woods, M., & Swinney, J. (2007). Small Businesses and the Community: Their Role and Importance within a State’s Economy. Journal of Extension, 45(1), http://www.joe.org."
- Swinney, J. & Runyan, R. (2007). Native American Entrepreneurs and Strategic Choice. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 12(3), 257-273.
- Runyan, R., Huddleston, P., & Swinney, J. (2006). A resource-based view of the small firm: Using a qualitative approach to uncover small firm resources, Qualitative Market Research Journal, 10(4), 390-402.
- Runyan, R., Huddleston, P., & Swinney, J. (2006). Entrepreneurial orientation and social capital as small firm strategies: A study of gender differences from a resource-based view. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 2(4), 455-477.
- Swinney, J., Runyan, R., & Droge, C. (2006). Differences in Reported Firm Performance by Gender: Does Industry Matter? Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 11(2), 99-116.
- Starr, C., Branson, D., Shehab, R., Farr, C.A., Ownbey, S.F., & Swinney, J. (2005). Biomechanical analysis of a prototype sports bra. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 4(3).
- Minshall, B.,, Winakor, G., & Swinney, J. (1982). Fashion preferences of males and females, risks perceived and temporal quality of styles Home Economics Research Journal, 10, 369-379.
- Stall-Meadows, C., Swinney, J., & Davey, A. (2009, Oct.). “Green jeans: a research study on the green movement in apparel.” Paper and oral presentation at International Textiles and Apparel Association conference. Bellevue, WA
|Innovation and Marketing of Fashion Products||DHM 1433|
|Retailing of Apparel, Interiors and Related Products||DHM 3433|
|Profitable Merchandising Analysis||DHM 3553|
|Problems in DHM||DHM 4810|
- American Collegiate Retailing Association
- Small Business Institute
- United States Association of Small Business Entrepreneurs
- International Textiles and Apparel Association
- Assessment Representative for the College of Human Sciences to the Academic Assessment and Instruction Council
- Departmental Merchandising Program Coordinator
- OSU First Year Experience Task Force, 2004-present
- Coordinator, Freshmen Academic Learning Communities, Design, Housing and Merchandising, 2004-Present