- About Us
- Apply Now
Tilanka Chandrasekera429D Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||University of Missouri-Columbia||Digital Media/Architecture|
|M.Sc.||University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka||Architecture|
|B.Sc.||University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka||Built Enviornment|
Virtual and Augmented reality focused research • Application of Tangible User Interfaces in Design Education • Application of digital technology for geriatric design practices (Gerontechnology) • Computational Design and Design Cognition Navigation and Wayfinding research in interior environments Facility management and hospitality industry focused research
Chandrasekera, T., & Yoon, S. Y. (2018). The Effect of Augmented and Virtual Reality Interfaces in
the Creative Design Process. International Journal of Virtual and Augmented Reality
(IJVAR), 2(1), 1-13.
Chandrasekera, T., & Yoon, S. (2018). Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and their effect on learning style in the creative design process. Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, 23(1), 55-75.
Siamionava, K., Slevitch, L., Chandrasekera, T, (2017) Application of Virtual Visualization Tools in Hospitality Environments, International Journal of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, Vol.2, No.4, Nov. 2017, Pages: 23-27.
Chandrasekera, T., Kang, M., Hebert, P., & Choo, P. (2017). Augmenting space: Enhancing health, safety, and well-being of older adults through hybrid spaces. Technology and Disability, 29(3), 141-151.
Siamionava, K., Slevitch, L., Chandrasekera, T, (2017) Understanding the Effects of Spatial Colors on Perceptions of a Hotel Room from a Cultural Perspective, American Journal of Business and Society, Vol. 3, No. 5, 2017, pp. 45-54
Chandrasekera, T., Krishnamurthy , K.,(2016) An Augmented Reality Model Sharing Platform for Virtual Design Critiques, International Journal of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science , Vol.1, No.2, Oct. 2016, Pages 40-43
Chandrasekera, T., Yoon, S. Y., & D’Souza, N. (2015). Virtual environments with soundscapes: a study on immersion and effects of spatial abilities. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 42, 000-000.
Chandrasekera, T., Yoon, S.-Y (2015) Adopting Augmented Reality in Design Communication: Focusing on Improving Spatial Abilities, The International Journal of Architectonic, Spatial, and Environmental Design, Volume 9, Issue 1, March 2015, Pages 1-14
Chandrasekera, T. (2015) towards an online based design critique framework for design education, International Journal of Education and Information Technology, Volume 1, Issue 3, June 2015, Pages 61-69
Chandrasekera, T. (2015) Rejuvenating Dysfunctional Public Spaces Using Augmented Reality Systems (ARS), American Journal of Mobile Systems, Applications and Services, Volume 1, Issue 1, July 2015, Pages 64-76
Chandrasekera, T. (2014) Using Augmented Reality Prototypes in Design education, Design and Technology Education: An International Journal, Volume 19, Issue 3, November 2014, Pages 33-42
Chandrasekera, T., Vo, N., D'Souza, N (2013), The effect of subliminal suggestions on Sudden Moments of Inspiration [SMI] in the design process, Design Studies, Volume 34, Issue 2, March 2013, Pages 193-215
Hebert, P. R., Jayadas, A., Chandraskera, T. & Chaiyakul, Y. (2018) “No tech to low tech to high tech!” Luminaire designs inspire.”
International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) Enlighten Europe 2018, November
7-9, 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
Hebert, P. R., Jayadas, A., Chandrasekera, T. & Chaiyakul, Y. (2018) “Students’ low energy luminaire design projects.” Passive and Low Energy Architecture Conference (PLEA) 2018 December 10-12, 2018, Hong Kong.
Chandrasekera, T., Ferreira, A., Hebert, P., (2018) Embracing Technology: Using 3D Scanned Museum Collections in Interior Design Education. Environmental Design Research Association conference 2018, Oklahoma City. Jun 6-9, 2018.
Chandrasekera, T., Jayadas, A., Pulay, A., Ippoliti, C., Mejia Puig, L. (2018) Symposium presentation at “Problem Solving in Multidisciplinary Teams through Digital Media”, Environmental Design Research Association conference 2018, Oklahoma City. Jun 6-9, 2018.
Hebert, P., Jayadas, A., Chandrasekera, T., (2018) Light reveals the built environment: A pictorial sample of students' lighting fixture design projects, Western Social Studies Association , Urban Studies Section Conference, San Antonio, TX, April, 4 – 7, 2018.
Pulay, A., Asino, T., & Chandrasekera, T., (2018, March). A Pilot Study Examining Student Opinions of Classroom Furniture for Collaborative Technology Use. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Interior Design Educators Council. Boston, MA.
Asino, T., Pulay, A., & Chandrasekera, T., (2017, November). Examining the connection between educational technologies and classroom space. Association for Educational Communications & Technology, Jacksonville, FL.
Chandrasekera, T., (2017) Tsunami Housing Villages: A post occupancy evaluation, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS) Annual Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Dec 4-7, 2017
Pulay, A., Tripp, A., Asino, T., & Chandrasekera, T., (2017). Teacher attitudes about their classroom environment. Southwest Regional Conference of the Interior Design Educators Council, Dallas, TX., October 5-6 2017,
Chandrasekera, T., Hebert, P.,(2017). Crisis Management: A Study of Emergency Preparedness in the Global Hospitality Industry, International Facility Management Association, World Workplace Conference, Houston, 2017
Chandrasekera, T., (2017). Using Immersive Virtual Reality in Design reviews, Interior Design Educators Council, Chicago, IL, March 8-12, 2017.
Chandrasekera, T., (2017) Mixed Reality Lab: Using affordable Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality environments in research and education, Second International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research 2017, Colombo, Sri Lanka. 07-08 January-2017.
Hebert, P. R. Chandrasekera, T, Jacobs-Grey, N., (2017) Querying Facility Managers in India's Hospitality Industry, Second International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research 2017, Colombo, Sri Lanka. 07-08 January-2017.
Chandrasekera, T., (2016). Furniture Designing within the Virtuality-Reality Continuum, Interior Design Educators Council, Portland, Oregon, March 9-12, 2016.
Chandrasekera, T., Yoon, S.-Y., (2015).Virtuality to Reality: Furniture Designing through Digital Prototyping, Interior Design Educators Council, Fort Worth, Texas, March 11-14, 2015.
Slevitch, L., Chandrasekera, T., Yang, J., Chung, Y., (2015) Application of virtual visualization techniques in understanding users’ perceptions of lodging interior environments, Asia-Pacific Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education Conference, New Zealand, June 10-13, 2015
DHM 2103 Interior Design Studio I: Residential
DHM 3173 Digital Design Communication
DHM 3301 Supervised Field Experience (Co-Instructor)
DHM 3823 Professional Practices for Interior Design
DHM 3881 Interior Design Pre-Internship Seminar
DHM 4264 Interior Design Studio V: Large Scale Commercial
DHM 4373 Advanced CAD/ Revit Architecture
DHM 4433 Facility Management and Design.
DHM 4824 Professional Internship in Interior Design.
DHM 5113 Theories of Creative Process in Design and Merchandising
DHM 5810 Problems in Digital Design Communication
DHM 6410 Independent Study Course in Design Cognition
Awards & Recognition
- Nominated for Regents Distinguished Teaching Award 2018
- Award for Excellence (Merit Award): The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) -2017
- Highly Commended paper award (FARU Conference, Sri Lanka, 2017)
- RIATA Faculty Fellowship (Oklahoma State University)-2017/18
- Campus Technology Innovators Award Honorable Mention (Mixed Reality Lab)-2016
- Award for Excellence (Honorable Mention): The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) -2015
- Future visions leader in Interior Design Education: The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) -2014
- Innovative Education Award: The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) – 2013
- Excellence in Teaching with Technology Award: University of Missouri-Columbia-2012
- King Medal for Excellence in Architectural & Environmental Design Research: ARCC (Architecture Research Centers Consortium) -2012
- Applications of Psychophysiological factors in Design education, College of Human Sciences Technology Fee Proposal, $ 23,000., Chandrasekera, T., (2018)
- Virtual+Augmented Reality Symposium: Problem solving in multidisciplinary teams through digital media, Humanities, Arts, and Design-Based Disciplines Research
- Grant, $10, 000: Chandrasekera, T. (2017)
- Virtual and Augmented Reality use in Interior Design, College of Human Sciences Technology Fee Proposal, $ 6,000., Chandrasekera, T., (2017)
- Virtual and Augmented Reality use in Interior Design, College of Human Sciences Technology Fee Proposal, $ 4,746.00, Chandrasekera, T., (2016)
- Mixed Reality Lab Supplemental Funds, Design, Housing and Merchandising, $7,500.00 Award: Chandrasekera, T.
- Oklahoma State University Presidents Fellow Funding: Supporting equipment for the Mixed Reality lab, $5400 Award, Chandrasekera, T (2016)
- Mixed Reality Lab: Infrastructure Development, College of Human Sciences Laboratory and Research Program, $31,000 Award: Chandrasekera, T.(PI), Robinette, K, Slevitch, L. (2014)
- Sketchup Licenses, Proposal for Technology Seed Money - College of Human Sciences, $3125.00 Award (Annually Reoccurring): Chandrasekera, T (2014)
- STEM through Design: Digital Media Workshops for Native American Middle School Girls, National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT) Academic Alliance Seed Fund, $10, 000. Chandrasekera, T., and Peek, G (2018)
- Classroom Interior Variables Influence on Teacher Absenteeism and Productivity. Interior Design Educators Council Special Projects Grant. $3,000. Pulay, A., Asino, T., Tripp, P., & Chandrasekera, T. (2018)
- SITAND: Ergonomic Chair for Older Adults, NSF (National Science Foundation) iCorps $3000: Chandrasekera, T., Fereira, A., Jayadas, A. (2017)
- IFDA Elizabeth Brown Grant, Ergonomic Design for Older Adults through Virtual Reality, $1000: Chandrasekera, T. (2017)
- Pepin Online (Phase II): Virtual Museum Collection. The Leevera Pepin Museum Fund, $3,500 Award: Hebert, P., Chandrasekera, T., Smith, C. (2016)
- Pepin Online (Phase I): Virtual Museum Collection. The Leevera Pepin Museum Fund, $3,450 Award: Hebert, P., Chandrasekera, T., Smith, C. (2016)
- VR First Technology Equipment: Supporting equipment for the Mixed Reality lab, Phase I, $3000 Award (through equipment), Chandrasekera, T. (2016)
- Augmented Reality based object locating and information system mobile application
for individuals suffering from disabilities. Bartlett Family Grant for Promoting Independent
Living, $10,000 Award: Chandrasekera, T.(PI), Kang, M., Hebert, P., Choo, P. (2014)
- Licensed Architect (ARB Registration No-CA09798) – Sri Lanka
- Associate Member of Sri Lanka Institute of Architects/AIA (SL)
- Environmental Design Research Association
- Design Communication Association
- International Facility Management Association
- Co-Chair 49th Environmental Design Research (EDRA) Association conference, 2018, Oklahoma City, OK. June 6-9, 2018
- Associate Editor, Environmental Design Research (EDRA) Association conference Proceedings 2018, Oklahoma City, OK. June 6-9, 2018
- Organizer- Virtual and Augmented Reality Hackathon, 2018 (Oklahoma State University)
- Organizer- Virtual and Augmented Reality Symposium, 2018 (Oklahoma State University)
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Education and Training Studies, 2016-Present
- Editorial Board Member: International Journal of Education and Information Technology 2015-Present
- Associate Editor for the International Journal of Visual Design (CG Publishing)-2014
- Associate Editor for the International Journal of Design Education (CG Publishing)-2014
- Associate Editor for The International Journal of Designed Objects (CG Publishing) -2013
- Scientific Committee/Reviewer: Faculty of Architecture Research Unit Conference- University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2015-2017
- Technical Program Committee Member/Reviewer The International Conference on Mechatronics and
- Manufacturing Technologies, Wuhan, China, August 20th - 21st, 2016
- Reviewer for Housing Education and Research Association (HERA) conference 2014-2017
- Reviewer for Environmental Design Research (EDRA) Association conference, 2011-2018
- Reviewer for The Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA) conference, 2016- 2018
- Reviewer for International Facility Managers Association Conference (IFMA) conference, 2017
- Editorial Committee, Journal of Facility Management Education and Research, 2017-Present
- Reviewer, Journal of Interior Design (Wiley), 2017-Present
- Interior Design Internship Coordinator, Oklahoma State University (2014-Present)
- VR First Coordinator
- Faculty, Students and Staff Recognition Committee member, DHM, Oklahoma State University (2014- Present)
- Department of Design Housing and Merchandising New Building Committee -2013-2014
- Adhoc Program Exchange Committee, Department of Design Housing and Merchandising (2015)
- Faculty Advisor: International Facility Management Association, Oklahoma State University Student Chapter:2013-Present
- Faculty Advisor: American Society of Interior Designers, Oklahoma State University Student Chapter:2014-2015
- DHM Strategic plan: Niche committee (2015)
- Faculty, Students and Staff Recognition Committee member, CoHS, Oklahoma State University (2015- Present)
- Human Sciences, Sustainability Think Tank – Oklahoma State University (2013-Present)
- Coalition for Advanced Digital Research & Education (CADRE) Council, OSU.
- University Technology Services Fee Committee, OSU.