Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Child Development Laboratory Home

 Image1

WELCOME TO THE EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHING AND LEARNING LABORATORIES

The Oklahoma State University Child Development Laboratory has a rich tradition of excellence in early childhood education. Housed in the College of Human Sciences, the Child Development Laboratory opened in 1924 becoming the second land grant university to have this type of specialized lab. The present facility was opened in 1983. A $1 million renovation in 2006 created the Cleo L. Craig Foundation Child Development Laboratory. In 2010, another $300,000 renovation provided space to integrate the RISE School of Stillwater with the Cleo L. Craig Foundation Child Development Laboratory. Today, the Child Development Laboratory is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and meets the criteria set by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services to be rated as a Three-Star facility. The Child Development Laboratory expansion provides an inclusive environment for all.

The Child Development Laboratory provides Human Development and Family Science undergraduate students the opportunity to interact directly with the children while meeting requirements for the Early Childhood Education certificate. Undergraduate students can complete approximately 650 hours of observation and participation within the Child Development Laboratory. In addition, the Child Development Laboratory is utilized by other departments within the college and university, such as nutritional sciences, design, housing and merchandising, and nursing. OSU graduate students can also meet their master’s and doctorate degrees utilizing the Child Development Laboratory and staff for thesis and dissertation research.