- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- About Us
- Apply Now
Associate Professor; MFT Program Director; Masonic Chair for Interdisciplinary Research226 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078
|Degree||Institution||Area of Study|
|Ph.D.||Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI||Family & Child Ecology / Marriage & Family Therapy|
|M.S.||University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR||Human Development & Family Science|
|B.S.||Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, MO||Psychology|
The unifying theme of my research, teaching, and extension/engagement is heavily centered on fatherhood/men’s issues, co-parenting, divorce, and remarriage/step-family formation, as well as the development of brief interventions addressing parenting issues. My work has a strong applied element—either working in the field of marriage and family therapy or working to develop resiliency-based treatment approaches for families dealing with conflict or improving the family therapy training processes. I have published numerous research papers and have presented at national conferences on topics pertaining to fatherhood, co-parenting, family conflict, domestic violence, and sexual assault. My appointment at OSU also includes both administrative and outreach titles. I serve as Program Coordinator for the marriage and family therapy program and hold a joint appointment with the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service as a Marriage and Family State Specialist. As a State Specialist, I have been directly involved in co-developing the Co-parenting for Resilience (for divorcing parents) program for Oklahoma Cooperative Extension and center much of my outreach work in the area of divorce, remarriage, step-family formation as well as mental health and well-being. I currently teach courses on ethics and professionalism, human sexuality, counseling skills, and practicum at the graduate level and introduction to MFT at the undergraduate level. I provide certification training in PREPARE/ENRICH within the MFT program and train both Extension Educators and graduate students in the Co-parenting for Resilience program. I also serve on the Oklahoma State Board of Behavioral Health Licensure, the regulatory body overseeing licensure for LMFT’s, LPC’s and LBP’s.
- Hardy, N. R., Brosi, M. W., & Gallus, K. (2018). Integrative Systemic Therapy: Lessons on collaboration and training for the 21st century. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 00, 1-13, doi: 10.1111/jmft.12332
Brosi, M. W., & Esselman, L. (2018). Co-parenting: The unique role of fathers. T-2247 Fact Sheet: Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service.
Cox, R., Brosi, M. W., & Masri, K. (2018). Co-parenting for Resilience Workbook. Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service.
- Oliver, M., Atiles, J., & Brosi, M. (2017). Preservice teachers' understanding of children of divorced families and relations to teacher efficacy. Educational Research Quarterly, 40(3), 25-49.
- Foubert, J., Brosi, M.W., Fuqua, D., & Watson, A. (2015). Precursors to conversion: Catalytic experiences of born again Christian college students. Growth: Journal of the Association for Christians in Student Development, 14(1), 2-15.
- Bannon, R. S., Brosi, M.W., & Foubert, J. D. (2013). Sorority women's and fraternity men's rape myth acceptance and bystander intervention attitudes. Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, 50(1), 72-87. doi: 10.1515/jsarp-2013-0005.
- Wilson, J. , Gardner, B.C., Brosi, M.W., Topham, G.L., & Busby, D. M. (2013). Dyadic adult attachment style and aggression within romantic relationships. Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 12, 186-205. doi: 10.1080/15332691.2013.779185.
- Foubert, J. D., Watson, A.,, Brosi, M.W., & Fuqua, D. R. (2012). Explaining the wind: How self-identified born again Christians define what born again means to them. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 31(3), 215-226.
- Brosi, M.W., Foubert, J.D., Bannon, S., & Yandell, G. (2011). Effects of Women's Pornography Use on Bystander Intervention in a Sexual Assault Situation and Rape Myth Acceptance. Oracle: The Research Journal of the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors, 6, 26-35.
- Foubert, J. D. , Brosi, M.W., & Bannon, R. S. (2011). Pornography viewing among fraternity men: Effects on bystander intervention, rape myth acceptance and behavioral intent to commit sexual assault. Journal of Sex Addiction and Compulsivity, 18, 212-231. doi:10.1080/10720162.2011.625552.
- Morgan, M., Brosi, W.A., & Brosi, M.W. (2011). Restorying older adults' narratives about self and substance abuse.American Journal of Family Therapy, 39(5), 444-455. doi: 10.1080/01926187.2011.560784.
- Brosi, M.W. & Rolling, E. (2010). A narrative journey for intimate partner violence: From victim to survivor. American Journal of Family Therapy, 38, 237-250. doi: 10.1080/01926180902961761
- Brosi, M.W. & Weaver, J. (2009). Confronting the internalized beast: Suicidal adolescents and family therapy (Book review). Death Studies, 33, 481-486. doi: 10.1080/07481180902805731.
- Rolling, E. & Brosi, M.W. (2009). A multi-leveled and integrated approach to treating intimate partner violence.Journal of Family Violence, DOI: 10.1007/s10896-009-9286-8.
- Brosi, M.W. & Rolling, E. (2007). The effect of value conflicts on therapists' work with abusive clients: Implications for the integration of feminist tenets. Journal of Feminist Family Therapy, 19(2).
- Brosi, M.W. & Carolan, M.T. (2006). Therapist response to clients' partner abuse: Implications for training and development of Marriage and Family Therapists, Contemporary Family Therapy, 28, 111-130.
- Brosi, M.W. & Brosi, W.A. (2002). Why not avoid a trial whenever you can? Special edition: An alternative dispute resolution for divorce Michigan Family Law Journal, 28-29.
- Villarruel, F.A., Bessey, L.L., Onaga, E., Youatt, J.P., Carolan, M., Griffore, R.J., Silvey, L., Campbell, L., Brosi, M.W., & Brosi, W.A. (2002). The 33rd annual National Council on Family Relations media awards competition, Family Relations, 51, 89-100
|Introduction to Marriage and Family Therapy||HDFS 4573|
Theoretical Models of Marriage and Family Therapy
Systemic Approaches to Psychopathology and Psychopharmacology
|Professionalism and Ethics in Marriage and Family Therapy||HDFS 5663|
|Practicum in Marriage and Family Therapy||HDFS 5690|
Mental Health Issues for Farmers, Their Families, and Their Communities. Shannon Ferrel (PI) & Matt Brosi (Co-PD). Submitted to Southern Extension Risk Management Education. (2019-2020, $47,809).
Payne County Youth Services, Contract for Providing Clinical Graduate Assistantship. (2019-2020, $11,472).
Wings of Hope, Contract for Providing Clinical Graduate Assistantship. (2019-2020, $11,472).
Payne County Youth Services, Contract for Providing Clinical Graduate Assistantship. (2018-2019, $17,393).
Oklahoma State University, Department of Human Development and Family Science Endowed Parenting Professorship Seed Grant. Key factors influencing fathers’ positive parenting while attending batterers’ intervention program. Matthew Brosi, Todd Spencer, & Jeremiah Grissett, Co-PIs. (2017-2018, $4,000).
Payne County Youth Services, Contract for Providing Clinical Graduate Assistantship. (2017-2018, $8,214).
Oklahoma State University, Department of Human Development and Family Science, George Kaiser Endowed Chair in Child and Family Resilience Seed Grant. Father Resource Kit Program. Matthew Brosi, PI. (2017, $5,824).
- Oklahoma State University, College of Human Sciences, Overcoming Barriers to Behavioral Outcome Adoption. Utilizing Innovative Resources within Co-parenting Programs to Increase Post-Divorce Father Involvement. Matthew Brosi (PI). Oklahoma State University. (2016-2017, $5,000).
- United States Department of Agriculture, Oklahoma Agriculture Experiment Station Project. Fostering Resilience in Parents and Children that Experience Divorce. Matthew Brosi (PI); Ronald Cox & Robert Larzelere (Consultants). Oklahoma State University. (2014-2016, $75,646).
- Administrative Office of the Courts, Alternative Dispute Resolution System of the Oklahoma Supreme Court. Early Settlement North Conflict Resolution Program. Matthew Brosi, Principal Investigator. (2013-2014, $78,580).
- Oklahoma State University, Department of Human Development and Family Science Endowed Parenting Professorship Seed Grand. Longitudinal Assessment of the Co-parenting for Resilience Program. Ron Cox and Matthew Brosi, Co-Pis. (2013-2014, $10,000).
- Administrative Office of the Courts, Alternative Dispute Resolution System of the Oklahoma Supreme Court. Early Settlement North Conflict Resolution Program. Matthew Brosi, Principal Investigator. (2012-2013, $80,188).
- United States Department of Agriculture, Oklahoma Agriculture Experiment Station Project. Conflict management and positive parenting intervention study. Amanda Morris (PI) and Co-PI’s Matthew Brosi, Carolyn Henry, and Michael Merten, Oklahoma State University. (September 2007- August 2009; $90,520).
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- National Council on Family Relations
- Oklahoma Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Board Member and Secretary - Oklahoma State Board for Behavioral Health Licensure
- COAMFTE Accredited Program Site Reviewer (2017 – Present).
- Editorial Board, Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy (2012-present)