Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Graduate Degrees

The Department of Human Development and Family Science offers graduate study leading to the Master of Science degree and Doctor of Philosophy degree. Graduate study in HDFS emphasizes the integration of theory, research and application to address key issues in risk and resilience.

Graduate students work with their advisers and advisory committees to develop flexible yet rigorous programs that meet degree requirements and professional competencies in the area of the specialization. Graduate programs in HDFS are central to departmental research. Faculty and students engage in the integration of theory and research to advance the development and application of knowledge to reduce risk and enhance resilience for individuals and families across cultures and generations.

HDFS has provided high quality graduate education programs for decades and has graduates in leadership positions across the state and nation in all areas of specialization. The department includes four centers/institutes that enhance student experiences in graduate study: (a) the Center for Family Services, offering high quality marriage and family therapy to the public and a training environment for master's degree students who choose the Marriage and Family Therapy option; (b) the Center for Family Resilience, focused on the promotion of resilience and reduction of risk among individuals, couples, and families across the lifespan in rural and urban areas of Oklahoma through multidisciplinary research, education, and outreach; (c) the Child Development Laboratory/Rise Program, licensed by the state of Oklahoma and the National Association for the Education of Young Children; and (d) the Institute for Building Early Relationships, promoting life-long resilience in very young children and families through collaborative research, education, and outreach.

Visit our HDFS Directory for faculty contact information and to click through to individual graduate faculty profile pages and learn about research areas.