- Programs & Admissions
- Student Life
- About Us
- Apply Now
Oklahoma State University School of Hotel and Tourism Management Internship Program
The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) at Oklahoma State University four-year bachelor’s degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management requires students to complete a practical hands-on experience to balance the theoretical knowledge they acquire in the classroom.
Each student is required to complete 320 hours of internship (hands-on) training in the hospitality industry as a requirement for graduation. All internships should attempt to expose students to each department or level of operation within the internship site in order to offer a thorough knowledge of the business. Naturally, practical considerations may modify how this happens. It is the School’s desire that students be exposed to other parts of the operation beyond the scope of their primary job.
Students should be scheduled according to company needs, including weekends, and supervised at each stage. Student wages should be an agreed upon standard rate per hour, regardless of duties during their training. HTM faculty internship advisors will visit or contact students during their internship on a regular basis. Students will submit progress reports on a regular basis to their advisor as well.
Upon completion of the training, each student is to be evaluated by your company using the Student Internship Performance Evaluation Form provided by the School. Students will be graded based upon the evaluation.
Expectations of the Employer:
- Allow student to work 320 hours of hands-on experience and expose the student to various management aspects of the industry.
- Keeping practical considerations in mind, expose the student to as many management/departmental/functional areas of the hospitality industry as possible in order to prepare the student for management within the industry.
- Schedule the student according to company needs and supervise the student at each stage.
- Agree to a standard rate per hour of pay, regardless of department or duties assigned to the student during training.
- Complete the Student Internship Performance Evaluation form.
Expectations of the Student:
- Complete the Pre-Internship Seminar course (HTM 3411).
- Have documented 480 hours of work experience in the hospitality industry
- Enroll in Hospitality Industry Internship course (HTM 3443).
- Be a good employee, ask questions, be observant, get involved and represent Oklahoma State University in a professional manner.
- Gain first-hand knowledge and apply management theory to analyze the practices of management in the industry.
- Demonstrate an attitude and demeanor of professionalism as a prospective manager in the hospitality industry.
- Complete 320 hours of internship training and complete requirements outlined in the course syllabus.
- Complete course assignments such as goals and objective report, orientation and training report, weekly journals, management interview and final internship report.
Should you have questions or need more information, please contact:
Dar Yasseri, M.S.
Executive in Residence
Oklahoma State University
School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
365 Human Sciences
Stillwater, OK 74078